Thread: Equipment
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Eric 26

I just got certified to be an umpire in Mich. and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about good quality equipment for a reasonable price.

Look at the first year as an investment. I do not know about Michigan, but here in NY certain attire is mandatory.

Ie; Fechheimer Grey pants. Even if you get the Combo pants you still need at least 2 pair to start. That will run about $40./$45 a pair.

Then there are the shirts plus the NY State insignia. We are required to wear the Cliff Keen Navy Blue for Spring ball and the Powder Blue for summer. The shirts sell for about $30.00 a piece and it is recommended that you buy at least 2 of each.

For the cold whether we use the Navy Blue pullover jackets with NY insignia - $50.00

Plate Shoes - anywhere from $85.00 - $130.00 depending upon your taste.

In a nutshell before you even get into the BULK equipment, the uniform and accessories will run you about $350.00

Depending upon the level of ball you are going to call, I would not go "cheap" on a chest protector. It only takes one or 2 straight on "shots" (which we have all taken) in which to get a serious injury. I personally like the West Vest but as others mentioned, the "top of the line" Honigs and +POS vests are similiar.

As mentioned, use your first year as an investment year. Then each year you only need to buy one or 2 things like new pants, etc. The reason I receommend buying a top of the line chest protector is ultimately it will save you money.

Ie; even if you are only going to call Modified HS ball (7th/8th graders), eventually you are going to move up and you will have to upgrade anyway.

Pete Booth