Thread: Equipment
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

Jeff, if you are making $300 a week doing games, you definitely need more than one uniform. My first year, I did 13 games in the high school season. One or two a week in mostly cool weather. For someone in their first year, who is not sure they are gonna stick with it, one uniform will work for the kind of schedule a new umpire is likely to get, at least in my area. My uniform never looked dirty, but I took care to store in properly.

As far as the plate shoes go, that is an individual choice. I bought a pair of plate shoes early in my first season but I don't like taking chances and I didn't have the extended guards on my shin guards. But I also didn't take a shot on the foot all of last year. If one is looking to save money the first year, you can. You are however tempting fate.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Hey, to each their own. I made it through my first year with one shirt and one pair of pants. If the shirt started to smell, it got washed. If the pants got visibly dirty, they got washed. Managed a full season that way with no problems.

And most guys here have the jacket. I am the exception, but I rarely get cold.
I understand that that might be the cheap way to get a uniform. I do not know about you I could make around $300 easily in a week working baseball. I think any umpire can afford easily a couple more pair of pants and shirts for a uniform. If looking the part is not a priority then buy one uniform. Part of what we are doing as an umpire is to look like we did not just crawl out of a hole. One of the ways to do that is to have many uniforms ready for use. I know a lot of umpires that have one uniform as well, but they look like it. You are right, to each his own.

Peace
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates