Thread: Equipment
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Buy on e-bay if you like, but the thought of putting on someone elses old sweated up used equipment, has no appeal to me. I say, invest the $$$ if you are sure that umpiring is not just a passing fad for you. The equipment will eventually pay for itself.
If one is skeived out by wearing someone elses equipment, don't buy used on ebay.

If you are smart about your purchase, you will buy from someone who has good pictures and descriptions and has taken care of their equipment. Remeber, equipment can be washed. The stuff I bought was well taken care of and I sold it in the same manner.

I recommend ebay for someone new into umpiring who doesn't know if it is something that he is going to stick with. If you just want to give it a try, you can get all your protective equipment for under a hundred bucks. It is a smart way to start.

You would be amazed how much equipment goes up on ebay from people who tried umpiring and found that they didn't like it.

The stuff that I now use was all brand new equipment when I bought it on ebay and I saved a substantial amount of money.

If you know you are going to stick with it, buy good new equipment. Just be aware that you really won't know what is good, or good to you and that your opinion of that equipment might change. Which is just another reason to start off with a minimal investment at first. No matter where you buy the equipment from.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates