The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have never understood why coaches feel that it is acceptable to treat an umpire with total disrespect on the ball field, when they would never treat that same adult in the same fashion off the ball field. What is it that makes some of these guys feel that it is ok to disrespect another adult?
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
On the topic of personal attacks, a few times this year I've had coaches say "you cost us that one, blue" or "thats three, blue"....i've had doubts about whether i should dump them, but i've decided against it because they've simmered down as the game goes on. i'm 18, and this is my first full summer working games. i'm trying not to have a reputation as a hothead, but these coaches need to learn they can't walk on me. what would you advise me to do in the situation i said with what the coaches said to me? am i right for saving them, or is it put up or shut up time for me to make this decision? thanks a lot for any help.
I'm assuming this is "chirping from the dugout". Try this approach: I'm also assuming this is the Head Coach and that he is coaching third. Between innings go to a spot where he has to walk past you and have a conversation concerning this issue (make sure only you and he can hear what is said) and flat out tell him if he doesn't knock it off he'll watch the rest of the game from the parking lot. If you do this be prepared to follow through. If it's bench personnel take the same approach only tell him: Coach either you get your bench under control or I will. And you know what happens if I have to take control.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
Unless it's for a charitable cause you shouldn't work for free.
In my area the youth leagues are all non-profits. The kids are there learning baseball instead of sitting on the couch -- or worse. So volunteer my time (and money since I own all pro-level gear) to make sure that these kids get a good game. I view the youth leagues as a charity. It never even occured to me that they would be anything but a charitable cause.

Quote:
"Hey, you can't do that!" probably doesn't warrant an ejection on the 2nd coach, even if that was yet another straw on this guy's back.
You HTBT. The comment was from across the diamond, and was crowing about it. He was pointing out to the whole field that he'd just pulled one over on me. The tone and manner of the comment was an obvious attempt to show up the umpire. Although you're right, had it not been for his antics the whole game up to that point, I probably wouldn't have ejected for it.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Most of it comes from the dugout, some of it comes from the coaches boxes....I usually stand on the first base line between innings. If I stand on the third base side, I can talk to him before he gets out to the coach's box. Like someone mentioned in a post before, I'll talk to him quietly, and if/when he flips out he'll look like the moron.

Thanks
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 06:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have done what Gordon suggested many times and it works like gold. I had to do that in a big game this past week. I did not have another problem the rest of the game.

The bottom line is ejections are personal and why you make them are very personal. I know guys that eject people just for coming out of the dugout or off the bench to complain. If it works for you keep doing that. If it does not work for you, then change something.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

If you show a coach that you won't be intimidated early, he won't give you too many problems.

Matt, you don't have to be a hothead to run somebody. There are limits to whats acceptable behavior. Usually a comment like "Coach, are you arguing balls and strikes?" or "Your not going to come out here and argue that judgement call are you coach?" can work wonders. Coaches eventually learn what they can and can't get away with. Once you bounce a coach once or twice, they start to be more docile with you.

A quick story, a couple of years ago, when I was working youth ball, my assignor asked me to do a FP softball game. I knew why he wanted me to do it, a coach was being a problem. In that season, I handed out roughly 6 or 7 ejs (2 in one game) through the little league and pony league schedule. The coach for this FP game had been beligerent, rude, and demeaning to both umpires that has worked his game so far. I got to the field, he come up, introduced himself to me, and when I told him my name, he got this strange look on his face, and went back to the dugout. I didn't hear a word from him the entire game. Maybe I called a really good game, but I think that my reputation for that league preceeded me.

A good rule of thumb : if after the game, you think to yourself, damn, I should have launched that guy, you probably should have.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Had to eject this week myself

I had a game that was a $#itkicking, top of 4 2 out team behind buy 10, close play at first, great job by the 1st baseman to catch the ball, I bang the runner, both runner and 1st base have a small comment nothing big. Partner calls me in to discuss something, and 3rd base coach is heading to 1st base dugout, from between 3rd base line and mound, he yells, I'd like to see that replay, I said, nope, he got'em coach. He has some other things to say expressing his displeasure, someone on the bench is yelling about the horrible call at 1st and the horrible strike zone, and on and on. As the 3rd base coach reaches the 1st base line I say OK That's Enough, he stops and walks to the dugout, The other guy is still yapping, I now turn to the dugout, and see asst bench coach yapping, I say, Do you not understand That's Enough? and turn back, it appears that he doesn't caus he wants to keep yapping, saying These guys are rediculous, ok boys you're getting no help today, there was no one on the bench but coaches and the comments were said to the players, loud enough for them all to here, I turn and chuck Mr asst.

He lollygags and has to be told to hurry up, no Head coach (3rd Base)comes out and calls me over and says to DOn't embarrass us! He is a teach and said it to me as though I was his grade nine hall monitor. I tod him they wanted to embarrass me and my partner they get what they deserve. He says well you definition of embarrass is different from mine. It amazes me that coachs don't think that yelling across the feild and gesturing at the umps, and impuning thier integrity is embarrassing them. But should you throw out a coach from 10 feet away and expect them to move in a semi hurried manner, you are embarrassing them. Unreal.

P.S. Looking back I'm not sure I should have said the "do you understand that's enough", I didn't mind another warning, but do you think the language I used was inappropriate??
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Most umpires would have ran the assistant without a warning anyway. I don't think your wording was bad or "embarrasing".

[Edited by aevans410 on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 12:11 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection

Befoe you eject someone you should know youir situation, For example, the last idiot that came out to argue a judgement call I simply told him "Look, my wife ain't here and your wife ain't here to bit*h at us, do you want to go home so she can?" He turned & walked back to the dug out, never heard another word.

My experiance is that it is better to keep a coach in the dug out than run him out. Obviously some deserve it, but sometimes it's best to keep him there. He may be the only tool you have for keeping the game moving and civilized. Why create more issues?

This happened a few years ago. I heard a bench yapping about my partners strike zone, he wanted to run people and ask my opinion. I told they had a good point and to become consistant, get in the slot, keep your head up, see the pitch into the glove and slow down his timing. (BTW, he was calling strikes outside in the dirt). He did not take my advice and now I hear he is hell in blue doing little league. He sank to his level of ability.

[Edited by EMD on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 06:15 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Had to eject this week myself

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
I had a game that was a $#itkicking, top of 4 2 out team behind buy 10, close play at first, great job by the 1st baseman to catch the ball, I bang the runner, both runner and 1st base have a small comment nothing big. Partner calls me in to discuss something, and 3rd base coach is heading to 1st base dugout, from between 3rd base line and mound, he yells, I'd like to see that replay, I said, nope, he got'em coach. He has some other things to say expressing his displeasure, someone on the bench is yelling about the horrible call at 1st and the horrible strike zone, and on and on. As the 3rd base coach reaches the 1st base line I say OK That's Enough, he stops and walks to the dugout, The other guy is still yapping, I now turn to the dugout, and see asst bench coach yapping, I say, Do you not understand That's Enough? and turn back, it appears that he doesn't caus he wants to keep yapping, saying These guys are rediculous, ok boys you're getting no help today, there was no one on the bench but coaches and the comments were said to the players, loud enough for them all to here, I turn and chuck Mr asst.

He lollygags and has to be told to hurry up, no Head coach (3rd Base)comes out and calls me over and says to DOn't embarrass us! He is a teach and said it to me as though I was his grade nine hall monitor. I tod him they wanted to embarrass me and my partner they get what they deserve. He says well you definition of embarrass is different from mine. It amazes me that coachs don't think that yelling across the feild and gesturing at the umps, and impuning thier integrity is embarrassing them. But should you throw out a coach from 10 feet away and expect them to move in a semi hurried manner, you are embarrassing them. Unreal.

P.S. Looking back I'm not sure I should have said the "do you understand that's enough", I didn't mind another warning, but do you think the language I used was inappropriate??
I go to RCF after the inning is over. I can't imagine what your partner wanted to talk about that was so important to draw you both together near the complaining coaches.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
Most of it comes from the dugout, some of it comes from the coaches boxes....I usually stand on the first base line between innings. If I stand on the third base side, I can talk to him before he gets out to the coach's box. Like someone mentioned in a post before, I'll talk to him quietly, and if/when he flips out he'll look like the moron.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Hey Matt, we use youngsters as yourself in my association. I help with training and such, usually at the 12u level. Trust me as I teach to toss at first hint of personal attacks or attacks on integrity. Most of our youth coaches have been around for years and know the "kid behind the plate", they try to use past influences to sway the calls, and get real personal, I will not cater to that, dump em, big and bold I tell em.Nobody desrves to be walked on, in any part of life, so I have no prob tossing coaches, my JUCO level is a bit different, if it is 90 degrees and skippy wants to get tossed, I am gonna keep him in the heat with me, then just f### with him....let him suffer too
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I read somewhere on this board about the 4 P's to ejecting a coach/player. Can someone outline these guidelines again? One of them I believe is Profanity, etc.

Thanks.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Personal
Profane
Persistant