The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe what I'm reading, but ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by fwump
David,

I agree. Now that I think about Sitch #2 it would be reaching to call interference on that one since there is likely no further play to be made.

Mike
Whether or not there's a further play is IRRELEVANT. The FPSR is not only an interference rule, it is a SAFETY rule.
Rich,

The guys hits a single to RF, the runner slides into second ahead of the throw, does a pop up slide in case he wants to advance.

The throw comes to F6 or F4 who is on the bag and R1 hits them as he comes up, and you're going to enforce
FPSR???? And then eject both coaches.

I don't see this as being close to what FED wants. The purpose of the FPSR is when the fielder has a chance to make another play ie. the DP or the home to first play etc.,

Surely R1 made a pop up slide into the fielder which is illegal, but the runner also has the right to the bag and the fielder without the ball shouldn't be on the bag.

I can be convinced, but I can't find any interpretations or case plays that come close to this type of play being FPSR. Now if he takes F4 or F6 out with the slide, that's different, but I don't see that happening since its a pop up slide.

I do have the plays that follows from Carl's article last year:

Play 5: As the shortstop takes the throw, he crosses the bag readying himself to fire to first. Before he can throw, R1 slides, then pops-up on the base. He does not contact the fielder whose throw to first is straight and true, but not in time.

5. Ruling: "That's nothing"

Comment: R1 executed an illegal slide, but there was no contact and he did not alter the throw. The defensive coach might argue the pop up slide "distracted" his fielder who is only a freshman. Your reply, "you ought to play upperclassmen in the infield."

Also play 7: F6 takes the ball and crosses the base, moving three or four steps into the right field side of second. R1 does not slide; rather he goes into second standing up. F6 throws wildly to first pulling F3 from the bag.

7. Ruling: "B1 is safe"
Comment: "Is F6 a freshman too?" The runner does not have to slide as long as he does not contact the fielder or alter the pattern of play.

Thanks
David