Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teacherspit
Gee,
In my oppinion the BR has abandoned his run to First.
"Abandonment" happens only *after* the runner reaches first.

NAPBL is clear that the BR isn't out until he reaches back to home. (4.24-1)
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

The rules you quoted cannot be used to call a BR out for retreating towards home if he has not yet touched first

7.08(i)uses confusing the defense and travesty of the game as reasons for calling the runner out.

As stated there is perfectly good reason to retreat, to give the another runner time to get to second or third.

Travesty means mocking or ridiculing the game. Avoiding a tag is not mocking the game. Thinking you may have to bat again is not ridiculing the game.

7.10(b) is an appeal play. You call that during continuous action of a live ball and you very well might be making a travesty of the game.

The force can only be reinstated "if the forced runner, after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base he had last occupied, the force play is reinstated..." (Rule 7.08(e)

Since the BR is not forced because the definition of a force play is "... a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner." The force play strictly deals with RUNNERS being forced to advance by the BR.

Finally abandonment is only allowed to be called if the runner leaves the baseline (7.08(a))

So the BR is not forced at first and cannot be called out just for retreating to first, as long as it makes sense in the course of the play (read "trying to avoid the tag, etc.)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by teacherspit
[B]

Gentlemen I know in ASA that the second a BR stops and steps backwards he is called out. I like that rule. I know that baseball does not have that rule. But as Bob said it is an umpires judgement and there are ways to call a BR out backtracking to home.

Making a travesty of the game for one.

REVERSE BASE RUNNING RULE MYTH
In order to correct a base running mistake, the runner MUST retrace his steps and retouch the bases in reverse order. The only time a runner is out for running in reverse, is when he is making a travesty of the game or tries to confuse the defense.

Rules: 7.08(I), 7.10(b)

Your judgement!

[Edited by Kaliix on Jul 26th, 2004 at 01:24 PM]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, due to storms in the Atl area, I have been without the internet since Saturday. It's amazing how dependent we get on it!

Teacherspit:
There is no need for me to respond further to this absurd ruling of calling abandonment, or making a travesty out of the gaem. As others have put so well, this is absolutely a protestable situation, as it is a misapplication of the rules. Hiding behind, "in my judgment" does not remove this problem from the protest arena.

What you have tried to call is simply wrong, and is a disservice to the players, the coaches and to other umpires that have to follow you.

The rules of the game are both simple and complicated at the same time. You are trying to make up new rules. Don't try creating new law when the old ones work just fine.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 11:15am

Exclamation Defense is at fault!!!

We posted this very same scenario at the beginning of Spring. As with that play, the batter dropped a bunt and the first baseman fielded it. Instead of playing smart defense, the fielder was duped and allowed the runner (R2 to go to third). The B/R does not have a time limit to get to first and is playing smart offense by stopping and walking backwards. As long as he does not pass home, he is just a base runner staying in the three foot running lane. The defense is at fault for worrying about him when the answer is simple...throw it to first.

While you will not likely see this above the Varsity HS level, it is not necessarily because the players are smarter and can execute this scheme. At college and beyond, you have more and better coaches watching and planning for every contingency.