The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 03:55pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

I originally posted this over 5 yrs ago on another forum. I was wondering what is the current thinking/interpretation.

Play (OBR):

R1 and R3. 1 out. Batter singles. R3 scores. R1 goes to third but misses second base. The batter is thrown out attempting to go to second. An appeal is made at second and R1, who is now on third, is called out.
Does the run count?

Paul
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion:

When the batter was out, the force was removed. It is now just a timing play so the run scores.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The real question should be: Was the force removed BEFORE R1 missed second base. G.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Force Play

I agree it is a timing play when the force was removed. Either way unless it was a forced double play R3 would score.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 05:39pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
My opinion:

When the batter was out, the force was removed. It is now just a timing play so the run scores.
I remember from years back that there was a camp that held to the interpretation that since there was a force at the time of the missed base, it could not be removed subsequently by the out on BR. I believe there was some official ruling on this. Does anybody have anything official?

Paul
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

"SNIP"
"I remember from years back that there was a camp that held to the interpretation that since there was a force at the time of the missed base, it could not be removed subsequently by the out on BR. I believe there was some official ruling on this. Does anybody have anything official?"
------------------------------------------
That is what I was alluding to in my previous post. In the play we are discussing it is pretty obvious that R1 had passed second base and probably on third when the batter runner was retired at second.

That be the case, the B/R was tagged out for an off base out therefore it did not lift the force play that was in effect when R1 missed second and a proper appeal would reestablish the force and nullify the run.

The only way the force play could be lifted on R1 would be if the B/R was "FORCED" out at first, which of course he wasn't. Have to watch those runners. G.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

doesnt a new play cancel out the appeal opp.???
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

"SNIP"

"Doesnt a new play cancel out the appeal opp.???"
----------------------------------------------

No because it was continuous action. G.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 07:04pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee

That is what I was alluding to in my previous post. In the play we are discussing it is pretty obvious that R1 had passed second base and probably on third when the batter runner was retired at second.

That be the case, the B/R was tagged out for an off base out therefore it did not lift the force play that was in effect when R1 missed second and a proper appeal would reestablish the force and nullify the run.

The only way the force play could be lifted on R1 would be if the B/R was "FORCED" out at first, which of course he wasn't. Have to watch those runners. G.
I don't mean to go off on a tangent but I think a scenario could be conjured up where R1 and the B/R are between first and second at the same time and the B/R is tagged out for an "off base out." I think here the force play on R1 would be lifted.

Paul
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapopez
I don't mean to go off on a tangent but I think a scenario could be conjured up where R1 and the B/R are between first and second at the same time and the B/R is tagged out for an "off base out." I think here the force play on R1 would be lifted.

Paul
Yes, the force would be lifted, but it's not relevant here because R1 hadn't missed the base (yet).

Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapopez

Paul
A simmilar situation comes up all the time. R1 and ground ball to F3, who steps on first, BR is out, and R1 is no longer forced to advance. F3 throws to F6 who tags R1 out at second.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

From J/R:

If a consecutive runner has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner, and he is forced at the moment he misses his advance base, an appeal of that base is ALWAYS a force out. EG: bases loaded, one out. The batter triples. R1 missed second and the batter-runner missed first. First the defense successfully appeals against the batter-runner, then R1. The appeal of the batter-runner does not negate the fact that R1 was forced when he missed the base. R1's appeal out (third out) is also a force out; R2 and R3's runs are negated.

According to J/R, if it was a force when it was missed, it's a force when it is appealed.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 07:18am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by Atl Blue
From J/R:

If a consecutive runner has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner, and he is forced at the moment he misses his advance base, an appeal of that base is ALWAYS a force out. EG: bases loaded, one out. The batter triples. R1 missed second and the batter-runner missed first. First the defense successfully appeals against the batter-runner, then R1. The appeal of the batter-runner does not negate the fact that R1 was forced when he missed the base. R1's appeal out (third out) is also a force out; R2 and R3's runs are negated.

According to J/R, if it was a force when it was missed, it's a force when it is appealed.
This makes more sense to me than the "off base" vs. "force" on the batter runner lingo.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

It does to me too.

I can see the difference. As in the reverse double play, the B/R is "forced out" which removes the force on R1 at second because the out was recorded at first BEFORE R1 arrived at second.

In the play we are talking about, even if the B/R was forced out at first it wouldn't matter providing the MISS took place BEFORE the out was made. Got it.

[Edited by Gee on Jul 19th, 2004 at 02:10 PM]
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

"R1 and R3. 1 out. Batter singles. R3 scores. R1 goes to third but misses second base. The batter is thrown out attempting to go to second. An appeal is made at second and R1, who is now on third, is called out.
Does the run count?"

So if I am following along correctly here, the third out is the appeal at second which is still a force, and the run does not score.