The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:13am
In Time Out

How Would You Have Handled This?

https://streamable.com/z31dd

Don't be shy. Literally anything you can say would be better than how an NLCS crew did. I really believe they owe more of an explanation that's been offered. I could see disciplinary action against the crew chief as well.

Normally I wouldn't be so vocal about ripping an MLB Playoff crew's work, but this is indefensible.

How would you have handled Roberts? Tell him if anyone else had anything, they would have called it already? Get together and make small talk for a while before sticking with the original call? Anything else?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post
https://streamable.com/z31dd

Don't be shy. Literally anything you can say would be better than how an NLCS crew did. I really believe they owe more of an explanation that's been offered. I could see disciplinary action against the crew chief as well.

Normally I wouldn't be so vocal about ripping an MLB Playoff crew's work, but this is indefensible.

How would you have handled Roberts? Tell him if anyone else had anything, they would have called it already? Get together and make small talk for a while before sticking with the original call? Anything else?
They made a mistake, lighten up. They shouldn't even be in this position, this should be reviewable.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:54am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
They made a mistake, lighten up. They shouldn't even be in this position, this should be reviewable.
True, there's no reason this shouldn't be reviewable.

It's really difficult to overstate how badly this was handled. Joe Maddon was absolutely justified to react the way that he did, and they all knew it.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, there's no reason this shouldn't be reviewable.

It's really difficult to overstate how badly this was handled. Joe Maddon was absolutely justified to react the way that he did, and they all knew it.
You're conflating the outcome with the handling. Cooper was sure the bat hit the ball and gave Wolf the info, Wolf decided to change it. Cooper was wrong, as we all know, but the process wasn't mishandled, they just made a mistake. Now if Cooper wasn't sure and they made a decision just based on two sounds, yes that's not a good process. But they handled it as best they could, given that they didn't have replay. It was a mistake, a graphic one, but just one pitch.

And Maddon had every right to be upset and disagree. He isn't justified in going on and on and on when it's clear they don't want to eject but he leaves them no choice. And in a 1 run elimination game? That's all about Joe.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:32am
In Time Out

Quote:
You're conflating the outcome with the handling. Cooper was sure the bat hit the ball and gave Wolf the info, Wolf decided to change it. Cooper was wrong, as we all know, but the process wasn't mishandled, they just made a mistake. Now if Cooper wasn't sure and they made a decision just based on two sounds, yes that's not a good process. But they handled it as best they could, given that they didn't have replay. It was a mistake, a graphic one, but just one pitch.

And Maddon had every right to be upset and disagree. He isn't justified in going on and on and on when it's clear they don't want to eject but he leaves them no choice. And in a 1 run elimination game? That's all about Joe.
The situation is what magnifies an already poorly handled situation. Wolf had the call right and allowed himself to be talked out of it. I don't have to quote in front of me, but I believe those were his words.

There's just no way the call should be changed there based on Cooper having to basically talk and talk until he got Wolf off of the correct call. If two other umpires were absolutely certain the call was missed, then you can talk reversal.

This call could have cost the Cubs the last game of their season. The way it was reached isn't acceptable, and as much as I like Mike Winters, he should face discipline of some sort for allowing the travesty to happen on his watch.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you are telling me that a guy at least 90 feet away can hear better and see better than a guy 2 feet away over the noise of 40,000 people? Please. All they had to do was look at the Jumbo Tron that millions saw.

Last edited by mbates50; Thu Oct 19, 2017 at 11:57pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates50 View Post
So you are telling me that a guy at least 90 feet away can hear better and see better than a guy 2 feet away over the noise of 40,000 people? Please. All they had to do was look at the Jumbo Tron that millions saw.
I'm sure you know that's not allowed. So, if you want to complain about it, complain to those who make the rules, not to those who followed them.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 07:47am
In Time Out

I will say that I give Jim Wolf a lot of credit for owning up to it after the game.

Mike Winters should never have allowed it to happen though.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Unless, of course, it had been a foul ball and they didn't get together or change it and then some would be saying "MW should be fined for not getting the call right" and "I don't know why they didn't just look at the screen to see the tip."
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I looked back through most of the OP's posts, and they almost all are complaining about officials and reviews.

I guess we know why he/she has the user name...
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 09:52pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
I looked back through most of the OP's posts, and they almost all are complaining about officials and reviews.

I guess we know why he/she has the user name...
Thank you for your non-contribution.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2017, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for your non-contribution.
You really did not type that with a straight face...
Old Sat Oct 21, 2017, 08:00am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You really did not type that with a straight face...
My posts, while perhaps somewhat inflammatory, have either been information-seeking or trying to create discussion. His post contributed nothing to the topic at hand.