View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:32am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
You're conflating the outcome with the handling. Cooper was sure the bat hit the ball and gave Wolf the info, Wolf decided to change it. Cooper was wrong, as we all know, but the process wasn't mishandled, they just made a mistake. Now if Cooper wasn't sure and they made a decision just based on two sounds, yes that's not a good process. But they handled it as best they could, given that they didn't have replay. It was a mistake, a graphic one, but just one pitch.

And Maddon had every right to be upset and disagree. He isn't justified in going on and on and on when it's clear they don't want to eject but he leaves them no choice. And in a 1 run elimination game? That's all about Joe.
The situation is what magnifies an already poorly handled situation. Wolf had the call right and allowed himself to be talked out of it. I don't have to quote in front of me, but I believe those were his words.

There's just no way the call should be changed there based on Cooper having to basically talk and talk until he got Wolf off of the correct call. If two other umpires were absolutely certain the call was missed, then you can talk reversal.

This call could have cost the Cubs the last game of their season. The way it was reached isn't acceptable, and as much as I like Mike Winters, he should face discipline of some sort for allowing the travesty to happen on his watch.