The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

How should (could) this have been handled?

Sitch:

Bottom of 5 (only play 5 inn.). Tie game. 2 outs. R1 @ 2nd, R2 @ 1st. B5 hits a line shot to center field. While the fielders are chasing the ball, R1 goes home (scoring the winning run) and to the dugout. Home team celebrates, visitors are dejected, but gather their stuff and go home.

As things are being cleaned up, as PU comes off the field he tells visitor parents & coach that the winning run never touched home plate. Neither parents nor coach complained, just accepted it.

Forgetting for the moment a) PU shouldn't have said anything and b) game is over, not worth appealing (it was a Middle School 'B' game), how could/should this have been handled from the defensive side? This is assuming someone on defense (coach, player, parent who informs coach) noticed the player didn't touch home.

The player was in the dugout by the time the ball got back to the pitcher. So, I'm assuming the DC appeals to the PU that the runner never touched home? Can the catcher do that? Since the runner is in the dugout, that's an out, right? 3rd out, game still tied, start extra innings?

I'm trying to find out what should have been done so *I* (if I end up coaching again) or my daughter would know what to do if this happens again.

Thanks
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Plate ump should not have said a word to anyone and should have left the field immediately after the game completed. As for the appeal, if the defense had appealed it, yes, the runner would have been out no run scored. But, the defense must appeal the play before they leave the playing field.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Any defensive player should get the ball, touch HP and tell PU, that the runner missed home plate. As noted this must happen before all defensive players leave the field. 3rd out and we're playing bonus baseball.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

And field umpire shoulda kicked the crap outta the PU for saying anything.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
Any defensive player should get the ball, touch HP and tell PU, that the runner missed home plate. As noted this must happen before all defensive players leave the field. 3rd out and we're playing bonus baseball.
Why "defensive player should get the ball, touch HP"? Isn't that a live ball appeal? Did dead ball appeals disappear in Texas?

Any infielder (to include pitcher or catcher) with or without the ball, can make a dead ball appeal simply by addressing the umpire and stating what is being appealed after the ball is dead. Would you not agree it is a dead ball when the winning run has apparently scored, the offense has cleared the field, and no one is attempting to advance?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Why "defensive player should get the ball, touch HP"? Isn't that a live ball appeal? Did dead ball appeals disappear in Texas?

Any infielder (to include pitcher or catcher) with or without the ball, can make a dead ball appeal simply by addressing the umpire and stating what is being appealed after the ball is dead. Would you not agree it is a dead ball when the winning run has apparently scored, the offense has cleared the field, and no one is attempting to advance?
Steve, please note the last word in the post. Wrong game.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

I can assure you that both live and dead ball appeals are alive and well in living in Texas.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.