Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Two Situations in a Game Last Night

This game was played under FED rules.

Situation 1:
Runner on second base. Batter hits the catcher's mitt for catcher's interference but the ball travels into left field and falls in front of F7 with R2 moving to third base. Should this have been called dead immediately or should I have let the play develop and give the offense the option of accepting the result of the play?

Situation 2:
Runner on first base. Wild pitch gets by F2 and ricochets away as he chases it down. The offensive coach is signaling for is runner to round second toward third as F4 fakes a catch and tag causing the R1 to slow down and stumble into second base. What should have been called on this play?
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post

Situation 1:
Runner on second base. Batter hits the catcher's mitt for catcher's interference but the ball travels into left field and falls in front of F7 with R2 moving to third base. Should this have been called dead immediately or should I have let the play develop and give the offense the option of accepting the result of the play?

Situation 2:
Runner on first base. Wild pitch gets by F2 and ricochets away as he chases it down. The offensive coach is signaling for is runner to round second toward third as F4 fakes a catch and tag causing the R1 to slow down and stumble into second base. What should have been called on this play?
1. CO is always delayed dead. In your case, the offense would (I'm assuming) not have an option because all runners including BR advanced one base.

2. Fake tags are obstruction. Award bases as appropriate (minimum of one.)
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 10:23am
TODO: creative title here

1) Delayed dead ball. Offense has the option of taking the result of the play (R1 and R3) or sending the batter to 1st and returning the other runners to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch (unless forced to advance), resulting in R1 and R2. Obviously, the coach will elect the to take the result of the play.

2) This is 'fake tag' obstruction. Award R1 3rd base.
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Situation 1:

Situation 2:
Sitch 1- the ball is delayed dead. The CO is nullified because all runners, including BR advanced 1 base. 2-22-1, 8-1-1e

Sitch 2- obstruction on F4. Award R1 a minimum of one base, or any other base they judged R1 would have achieved without the OBS. 2-22-2, 8-3-2
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation 2:
Legal.

Not legal. The minimum award is second (because this happened before second base). You can award third if you think the runner would have reached that base.