The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

2 situations, same game.

2 scenarios, same game. Recreation travel league.

A1 with ball in frontcourt. B1 slaps the ball off of A1's leg and it rolls into the backcourt. I'm the T, A1 goes into back court and picks up the ball, i call a BC violation. A1's coach has a mild stroke. As i transition to become the lead on bench side of the court, i say 'coach, your player cannot be the last to touch the ball in the FC and the first to touch it in the BC'. Her claim was that her player didn't touch it, the ball hit her. At halftime i look up the rule and it appears i had it right; any thoughts?

Also, 4th quarter, team B (same as team B above) is down 4 points in last minute. Team A is inbounding near HC. B is in an obvious fouling situation. B2 fouls A2 while A1 is holding the ball out of bounds for the throw-in. The foul; A3 goes to pick B2 for A2 and while B2 is going around the pick, she got her arm caught on A2 and she slowed A2 up. I blow my whistle and call a hold and put A2 on the line for 1 and 1. Questions; should this have been intentional given the situation and the ball not yet inbounds?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Violation in the first.

Personal Foul & Shoot the 1 and 1 in the second
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sitch 1 -- You got it right.

SItch 2 -- Judgment call.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye

A1 with ball in frontcourt. B1 slaps the ball off of A1's leg and it rolls into the backcourt. I'm the T, A1 goes into back court and picks up the ball, i call a BC violation. A1's coach has a mild stroke. As i transition to become the lead on bench side of the court, i say 'coach, your player cannot be the last to touch the ball in the FC and the first to touch it in the BC'. Her claim was that her player didn't touch it, the ball hit her. At halftime i look up the rule and it appears i had it right; any thoughts?

Also, 4th quarter, team B (same as team B above) is down 4 points in last minute. Team A is inbounding near HC. B is in an obvious fouling situation. B2 fouls A2 while A1 is holding the ball out of bounds for the throw-in. The foul; A3 goes to pick B2 for A2 and while B2 is going around the pick, she got her arm caught on A2 and she slowed A2 up. I blow my whistle and call a hold and put A2 on the line for 1 and 1. Questions; should this have been intentional given the situation and the ball not yet inbounds?
1) yes....this has been discussed many times in this forum.

2) no. Unless you deemed it intentional it's a normal basketball play
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

First instance - yes, you are right. This is a B/C violation. Second instance - it is not "automatically" an intentional foul because the defender did not foul the player who was OOB on the throwin. It really shouldn't be ruled as a "normal" intentional foul because the clock wasn't running so she didn't foul to stop the clock. Just one take on the situation.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did she reach out and try to grab A2 or did she get caught in an ackward position because of the pick? Grasping probably means an intentional, otherwise go personal.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Her claim was that her player didn't touch it, the ball hit her.
"Coach, that's nice, but the rule book doesn't make such a distinction."