The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

pre game coach conversation

How do the experienced officials deal with coaches that they have had problems with in past games? Do you try to discuss anything before the game starts?

let's say the coach is a big talker..." three seconds, that was a foul"..etc.. would you consider approaching him during warm ups. Say "in past games coach you have been vocal about everything on the floor, it is hard for me to concentrate on all of the action because of this" then asking him the allow you to officiate the game with less talk?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 06:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I don't even address it. What's past is past. This is a new game and they have a clean slate. I keep it short.

"Hi coach, I'm Mr. R and this is my partner Mr. U. We'll be your officials tonight. Are your kids ready to play? Let's practice good sportsmanship tonight. Good luck." And then, off to the other side.....

If there is an issue later in the game, I'll deal with it then. But, that's just me and I'm not as experienced as some on this Forum either.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 07:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
How do the experienced officials deal with coaches that they have had problems with in past games? Do you try to discuss anything before the game starts?

let's say the coach is a big talker..." three seconds, that was a foul"..etc.. would you consider approaching him during warm ups. Say "in past games coach you have been vocal about everything on the floor, it is hard for me to concentrate on all of the action because of this" then asking him the allow you to officiate the game with less talk?
I try to involve the other coach if the Q is about how the game will be called. I also avoid commenting on the calls other officials make, but I will provide my understanding of the truth. I believe truth to be absolute.

If a coach is a [known] talker, I do not mention anything during a pre-game, as each game is a new slate. But, I likely won't forget anything from the past either. Once the game starts, if the coach is a talker as you outline, I talk to him PDQ.

Same goes for a coach I have had trouble with in the past: each game is new. I do think it's good to pre-game this with you P so that he is aware. I have no problems taking care of business, and I don't care if it "looks like I have it in for a coach". (If a coach commits an infraction that warrants a technical foul, I call it. If he doesn't cross that line, I do not call it. It's rather simple actually.)

There was a thread awhile back surrounding a coach-talker and he was hit with T 37 seconds into the game. I thought it was a correct call.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 08:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I don't initiate any pre-game communication with the coach other than the pre-game handshake and pointing out illegal equipment. What happened in the past is the past.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Let's say the shoe is on the other foot...coach comes up to you before the game: "In past games, you tend to call little, touchy fouls, but I think you should let the kids play. It is hard for me to coach my kids because this is our style of play."

One of the things I think is that I don't like it when coaches tell me how to officiate, so I'm not going to tell them how to coach. What they do when the ball goes up to start a game is on them.

If a coach has been vocal in the past, then that's the past and I'm fine with it. But if they decide they're going to be vocal (to the officiating crew) for my current game right now, then I'm going to show him the stop sign and put an end to it early.

Talking to the coach like you suggest is a bad idea because 1) you're admitting you have trouble focusing on the game, and might very well miss a call he's complaining about...and 2) you're sort of telling him how to do his job. I don't see how it's going to do anything other than throw gas on the fire.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I get what your saying MA, as i had a coach do just what you said. the coach came up and said " i talked to the other coach and we don't want you guys to call the game close, just let everyone play. this is mid school." Since I am newer and the kid I was working with was 18, I just said ok coach. But I told the other official to call the game just as he normally would.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Let's say the shoe is on the other foot...coach comes up to you before the game: "In past games, you tend to call little, touchy fouls, but I think you should let the kids play. It is hard for me to coach my kids because this is our style of play."
I'd tell him that he sticks with the 2-3 zone way too long and needs to drill his players' ball skills a little more.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

"Hi Coach, [insert name]. Are your players properly equipped and ready to play? .... Your coaching box is marked there. Please give us a signal for the type of time out you want. If we don't get one we will give you a full time out automatically. Also, please break on the first horn. Thanks. Good Luck."

I never deviate from that script unless there is something the coach asks or we have noticed an illegal equipment issue.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

pre game

The only think that I add to the already stated is...

"Coaches and players, if you have a question ask us and we will answer as soon as possible. Our english teachers in high school taught us not to answer statements. Have a great game and put the ball in the hole! Have fun and good luck."

THe players and coaches normally laugh a little in the pregame. The statement vs. question reference is important for later in the game when the coach is whining. The statement goes like this, "Coach is there a question in there anywhere?" or "Coach I am not ignoring you, I am just waiting on a question." I have found that this works really well. 95% of coaches will adjust well to this. You will learn who the 5% are that do not quickly. Adjust with the exceptions.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whenever a coach asks me how I'm doing that day, I have a standard reply - "Cranky". It sets a good tone for the game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Past games are ancient history. Start fresh every game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, [insert your name here]"
"Do you have any questions before we start?"
"Let us know what time out you want and help us getting your kids out on the first horn, good luck"
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Past games are ancient history.
Only for some of our (steamed) members.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

"OK, coaches. Listen up. I'm Butch and this is my partner Sundance. We'll be your bouncers for today's festivities. Make sure all your players have removed their nipple rings. It's a good idea if they're all wearing cups since we plan on not calling any hard fouls to the crotch area. If you run any plays designed to send the game into overtime, I will break your kneecaps. If you say anything to either one of us during the game, I will break your kneecaps. Any questions? If so, stuff 'em - we don't care.

Oh yeah, good luck - you'll need it."

Of course, if it's a girl's game, I skip the part about the cups.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"OK, coaches. Listen up. I'm Butch and this is my partner Sundance. We'll be your bouncers for today's festivities. Make sure all your players have removed their nipple rings. It's a good idea if they're all wearing cups since we plan on not calling any hard fouls to the crotch area. If you run any plays designed to send the game into overtime, I will break your kneecaps. If you say anything to either one of us during the game, I will break your kneecaps. Any questions? If so, stuff 'em - we don't care.
Oh how I wish......