The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Initiating conversation with coach

Ima coach, and I think my sharing of an experience I had last night with a young official may help some new officials here, plus I just have to vent a little. 3 min left of my Girls Varsity game, I'm down by 15 and not going to come back. IMO, the young official had booted about 3 calls - really no big deal, but he probably knew I was a little agitated with him (remember this later) . Anyway, under my basket, we're D, fighting for a loose ball (right in front of our bench) off a batted pass and as soon as we gain possession I request a timeout. The official who should have granted the TO did not (he heard me, but decided we didn't have possession long enough to constitute control). Of course, I thought we had established control, and I was steaming, though non-verbally, and I don't think I complained out loud (15 point game). My point (finally): The younger official comes in from up the court (from new Lead) to about the division line and initiates an explanation of why the other official had not granted me the TO rqst. I vented on him for about 4 or 5 sentences and then he gives me the stop sign. I say "You came here and started this conversation with me and now you want to tell me you don't want to discuss it?!" Then we finish the game. My advice to the newer refs: don't initiate a conversation with an agitated coach - respond professionally if he asks a valid question. More experienced refs already know when to speak and when not to speak to a coach. (I think his knowledge of my earlier disappointment with a few of his calls, and his inexperienced desire to be "liked" may have brought him to the point to "make nice" with me. maybe. . .) I hope this is helpful. Go Lions.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:58am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Good post, Coach.
Interesting.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I am curious coach, when you say young, do you mean like he was actually a young looking official in his early 20's or younger, or that you had never seen him work before so you figured he was new?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

He was both chronologically and avocationally young. I could tell by his mechanics and manner that he was more inexpeienced than the other two officials, both of whom I have known for years. That he was paired with the two more experienced guys was another tipoff that he was "still coming along." The fact that we are a small school conference (with less athletic, less intense, and yes even less skillful players and coaches) makes our league a good place for the newer officials to get their feet wet. I believe this was the case with this official.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

And to answer your Q: I would say he was 25ish
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I had the bad habit of initiating conversations a few years ago. Nothing good comes of it. Now, about the only time I talk to a coach is if they ask me a direct question. Great post from a coach's perspective by the way.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:38am
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Coach,

Kudos for allowing the younger guy to come work for you. We've gotta start somewhere if we want this game to continue.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Easy way to think about talking to coaches:

1) Answer questions
2) Ignore statements
3) Punish idiotic people!

Follow those steps and depending on your verbal communication skills, you most likely will have few troubles!
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reminder, Coach! It's sound advice.

As a newer official (though not even close to "25-ish"), I've been paired with more experienced partners every time I step on the court. This is one thing that's constantly emphasized to me in pre-game, don't try to explain without the coach asking first.