Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....c53d278d.html

Quote:
At that point, frustration overcame Texas coach Rick Barnes, who had been trying desperately to get the attention of officials for a sideline conversation in the second half about the disparity in fouls called over the final 20 minutes – Xavier went to the line 23 times in the second half, Texas only four.

Barnes began shouting his dismay at official Ted Valentine, who told Barnes, "That's enough."

Barnes replied, "Well, then, leave. Because I'm not going anywhere," and kept shouting.

Valentine then called a technical on Barnes, who was shocked. Barnes' anger at receiving his first technical foul of the season led to a second technical and his ejection. Valentine's only comment to a pool reporter after the game was, "The rules speak for themselves."
Well. I know coaches like this. In fact I tossed one myself early on this year. Ya know what? It felt good!

Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

"What happened at the end of the game wasn't necessary," Barnes said. "I respect Ted. But that didn't need to happen. All I said was if the officials are going to call fouls when there's contact on the perimeter, you have to call fouls when there's contact inside. And we were obviously trying to get the ball inside in the second half."

Perhaps more disconcerting was Mouton's contention that when he asked Valentine to explain a questionable fifth foul called on him, Valentine replied, "Shut the [expletive] up, you're not in the NBA."

Valentine couldn't be reached for comment on that allegation.

Wow, this speaks for itself. Valentine shouldn't have used explicitives toward Mouton. I wasn't there and I do not know what exactly was said therefore I can't pass total judgment.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
"What happened at the end of the game wasn't necessary," Barnes said. "I respect Ted. But that didn't need to happen. All I said was if the officials are going to call fouls when there's contact on the perimeter, you have to call fouls when there's contact inside. And we were obviously trying to get the ball inside in the second half."

Perhaps more disconcerting was Mouton's contention that when he asked Valentine to explain a questionable fifth foul called on him, Valentine replied, "Shut the [expletive] up, you're not in the NBA."

Wow, this speaks for itself. Valentine shouldn't have used explicitives toward Mouton. I wasn't there and I do not know what exactly was said therefore I can't pass total judgment.
These aint 7th graders we're talking about ya know
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What did any of that have to do with what happen just before 3.9 seconds to go in the game? Let us say that that is what he was complaining about, for argument sake of course. What did his complaining about fouls on the perimeter have to do with his player putting up a horrible shot, then his players getting out hustled for the rebound? Am I missing something here?

Quote:

If that is at all what Teddy said, he was wrong. But this is not the NBA. It is not the job of the officials to explain anything to a coach. No matter how much they are complaining about a call.

Quote:
I for do not believe any coach that curse all the time at that level. And it is rather common. Maybe Valentine should not use that kind of language, but if we T them up for it, then we are seen as the bad guy all the time. So you really cannot win. But considering that coaches are scoundrels most of the time, I really do not believe that at all. It would have been better to just not say anything. But I do not blame Valentine for that any more than others that speak. Because coaches spend so much time yelling, they always seem to want to get upset if we "give it back to them," or draw a line with what they say to us.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge [QUOTE]
What did any of that have to do with what happen just before 3.9 seconds to go in the game? Let us say that that is what he was complaining about, for argument sake of course. What did his complaining about fouls on the perimeter have to do with his player putting up a horrible shot, then his players getting out hustled for the rebound? Am I missing something here?

I took this directly from the paper. I should have left it out of the post. I could really care less if he got a T or was complaining. That is what some coaches do....complain. I know coaches that do it even if they are winning by 20.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
If that is at all what Teddy said, he was wrong. But this is not the NBA. It is not the job of the officials to explain anything to a coach. No matter how much they are complaining about a call. [QUOTE][i]

Then why do WE do it? How many times have you seen it happen in high school, college, professional? I can't count (on all my fingers and toes) the number of times I have seen it this weekend!!!!!!!!!

Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then why do WE do it? How many times have you seen it happen in high school, college, professional? I can't count (on all my fingers and toes) the number of times I have seen it this weekend!!!!!!!!!

Do not misunderstand the point. We do a lot of things out of courtesy and to hopefully get a message across to the coaches that we are listening. But coaches like children try to take advantage of our kindness.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:03pm
BBallCoach

If Teddy did make that comment to a player than he is wrong. No questions about that. He is wrong and should be fined for his language to a player. For a group of people that try to hold themselves above all others, this comment by an official did nothing but bring him down.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
If Teddy did make that comment to a player than he is wrong. No questions about that. He is wrong and should be fined for his language to a player. For a group of people that try to hold themselves above all others, this comment by an official did nothing but bring him down.
OK, if he did not make the comment, then what?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 01:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Then all the coaches that throw around F-bombs all the time should get fired. Would there be any D-I coaches left?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Then all the coaches that throw around F-bombs all the time should get fired. Would there be any D-I coaches left?
Man, I can think of one particular coach that has been sanctified for years. John Wooden. The guy was a sewer-mouth when he coached. If they ever took out the F-shots from his coaching vocabulary, he woulda been a mute.

His award shoulda been called "The F...ing John Wooden Award"!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If that is at all what Teddy said, he was wrong. But this is not the NBA. It is not the job of the officials to explain anything to a coach. No matter how much they are complaining about a call.

Who does Mr V (the almighty one)have to explain a call to?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

He does not have to explain and he really does not have to talk like that.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by swampe4
Who does Mr V (the almighty one)have to explain a call to?
[/B]
The NCAA evaluators at the game, the officials' selection committee and probably Hank Nichols if someone thought it was a serious problem. If these people think that there was a major problem with a particular call, then it is THEIR job to go over that problem with Valentine. I doubt very much that they will do so publically, though. Every official in this tournament is evaluated, and held responsible for their actions in every game.

Now please explain exactly the knowledge and experience that YOU have that enables YOU to substitute your expertise for the NCAA's in this case. Maybe you can also relate to us the exact words of Barnes' that Valentine thought were out of line. I await your answer.