View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
How do the experienced officials deal with coaches that they have had problems with in past games? Do you try to discuss anything before the game starts?

let's say the coach is a big talker..." three seconds, that was a foul"..etc.. would you consider approaching him during warm ups. Say "in past games coach you have been vocal about everything on the floor, it is hard for me to concentrate on all of the action because of this" then asking him the allow you to officiate the game with less talk?
Let's say the shoe is on the other foot...coach comes up to you before the game: "In past games, you tend to call little, touchy fouls, but I think you should let the kids play. It is hard for me to coach my kids because this is our style of play."

One of the things I think is that I don't like it when coaches tell me how to officiate, so I'm not going to tell them how to coach. What they do when the ball goes up to start a game is on them.

If a coach has been vocal in the past, then that's the past and I'm fine with it. But if they decide they're going to be vocal (to the officiating crew) for my current game right now, then I'm going to show him the stop sign and put an end to it early.

Talking to the coach like you suggest is a bad idea because 1) you're admitting you have trouble focusing on the game, and might very well miss a call he's complaining about...and 2) you're sort of telling him how to do his job. I don't see how it's going to do anything other than throw gas on the fire.