The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I went to watch a women's college game, and I noticed something that I have a question about. We all know the new mechanic is for the calling official to go tableside after reporting, so that the coach can "talk" a little. What I noticed in this game was that there was quite a bit of conversation between the ref and the coach. I know in hs we are told to listen, say one quick thing, or maybe two, and then get away, especially during a live ball.

So how is the conversation different in college? It's still a year or two (or more!) away for me, but I want to start thinking about it now, so that I can handle it when the time comes. What does the coach say, and how does the ref respond? Can anyone post some examples?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

It really depends on the coach and the situation. For me I like going over tableside because it does give you a chance to explain yourself and defuse the situation before it can escalate.

Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I understand if no one wants to answer on the board. Could some e-mail me privately, and talk about conversing with coaches in college ball? Thanks.