The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Gonzaga-Syracuse final minute

Two plays for discussion:

1.) Gonzaga 10-second violation in which pass was batted by a Syracuse player (who appeared to be in the frontcourt) back into the backcourt, where Gonzaga recovered and was whistled for 10 seconds (shot clock was at 20). Is NCAA-M rule different than HS, or was this just a miss on a frantic play?

2.) Syracuse steal on the endline, with about 11 seconds left. C, from above the FT line, came in strong whistling Syracuse player for stepping on the endline ... which he didn't.

I'm more interested in the review on this one. They reviewed it, but apparently could only review it for the time on the clock. I felt for the C, who probably knew he reached to blow a line that wasn't his, then saw on replay that he wasn't right. Why was the OOB aspect not reviewable?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Two plays for discussion:

1.) Gonzaga 10-second violation in which pass was batted by a Syracuse player (who appeared to be in the frontcourt) back into the backcourt, where Gonzaga recovered and was whistled for 10 seconds (shot clock was at 20). Is NCAA-M rule different than HS, or was this just a miss on a frantic play?
Rule 4, Section 23. Location of a Player
Art. 1. The location of a player (or nonplayer) is determined as being:
b) In the frontcourt or backcourt

Art. 3. When the ball touches an official or a player who is on the playing court, play shall continue as if the ball touched the floor at that individual’s location

Rule 9, Section 10. 10-Second Backcourt
...Once the 10-second count begins, an inbounds player (and his team) shall not be in continuous control of a ball that is in his backcourt for 10 consecutive seconds.

By this reading, it looks like a miss to me, but I don't work NCAA-M; others thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm more interested in the review on this one. They reviewed it, but apparently could only review it for the time on the clock. I felt for the C, who probably knew he reached to blow a line that wasn't his, then saw on replay that he wasn't right. Why was the OOB aspect not reviewable?
Must be a deflection between two or more players, I think. 11.2.5(e)?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

As to question #1, it appeared no one noticed the Syracuse player had frontcourt status. So yes, it was a miss.

On play #2, mtn is correct. OOB plays can only be reviewed to determine which team caused the ball to go OOB when there is a deflection involving two or more players. My guess is the L wasn't 100% sure the Syracuse player didn't step on the endline, otherwise they could have huddled then said it was an inadvertent whistle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes Zag's is entitled to a new 10 second count if the ball is touched and batted back into their backcourt prior to the expiration of the ten count. That's rule 9.9.1. I only saw it in real time and it looked close so either it was a miss or perhaps it wasn't touched by 'Cuse prior to the expiration of the 10 count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Suddenly, I'm afraid of posting about this, but I thought no, they kicked both plays. The ball crossed half court in the first play, so for the C to come in, it must've been obvious, but it was obviously tipped, so for the C to come in on the play, he better be certain, which he must've been wrong about.

As for the baseline OB call, I just can't believe this call was made. In a HS/JC game, I would absolutely chew my partner's ass to an uncomfortable point in the post game. It's one thing to make the call when you have certainty, and your partner is out of position, but here? Man, a lot to learn about this.

Last edited by frezer11; Sat Mar 26, 2016 at 12:20am.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 01:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Sorry I posted all the videos in the other tread. I did not see this thread until after I posted the first video.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Officials got the call wrong by rule on the 10-second violation. Syracuse player was clearly in frontcourt and batted the ball with 21 on the shot clock. Gonzaga recovered the ball and should have gotten a new 10-seconds. Sirmons made the call on this one too. What a horrendous last 1:30 Sirmons had.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the trail and the center both called the ten-second violation.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Actually the trail and the center both called the ten-second violation.
I am really surprised the Center did not help him out.

By mechanic anyone can make the 10 second call if they see it.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Totally agree. I was shocked when I saw the clip you posted in the thread I started that the C was also signalling the 10 second. Two tough misses for that crew in the closing moments. One call where you would hope the C comes in strong to save the crew and one where the C reached and burned the crew.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 07:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
Totally agree. I was shocked when I saw the clip you posted in the thread I started that the C was also signalling the 10 second. Two tough misses for that crew in the closing moments. One call where you would hope the C comes in strong to save the crew and one where the C reached and burned the crew.
C wasn't at the proper angle to help. He was stepping away as the pass was going to the division line.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

My guess is the L didn't have any definite knowledge. With the way the rule is now it's sometimes easier for the L to pick up some of this because they only have two - maybe three - players in front of them.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)