The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rulings

NFHS Rules - What's the call.

Sit. 1 S5 is back to serve. As she contacts the serve a ball from another court rolls onto the court and under the net. The R1 stops play and signals for a replay, Team B then executes a libero replacement.

Sit 2 S5 is back to serve. After she hits the ball, R2 signals the Team R out of rotation, and the ball fails to cross the net legally. Team R's coach questions the call and the R2 realizes his call was incorrect. What's the call?

Sit 3. S5 tosses the ball to serve and swings and misses. Team R then executes a libero replacement. What's the call?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 03:09am
Call it as I see it.

Here is how I would rule without looking in the rulebook..

Sit. 1 S5 is back to serve. As she contacts the serve a ball from another court rolls onto the court and under the net. The R1 stops play and signals for a replay, Team B then executes a libero replacement.
legal replacement as the ball is whistled dead and you have a replay.

Sit 2 S5 is back to serve. After she hits the ball, R2 signals the Team R out of rotation, and the ball fails to cross the net legally. Team R's coach questions the call and the R2 realizes his call was incorrect. What's the call?
Replay as the ref killed the play before the ball hit the ground.

Sit 3. S5 tosses the ball to serve and swings and misses. Team R then executes a libero replacement. What's the call?
Illegal as this is a reserve and the beckon from the first serve means no Subs until the play finishes.

Last edited by Insane Blue; Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 03:16am.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Here is how I would rule without looking in the rulebook..

legal replacement as the ball is whistled dead and you have a replay.

Replay as the ref killed the play before the ball hit the ground.

Illegal as this is a reserve and the beckon from the first serve means no Subs until the play finishes.
2 out of 3 correct. The one you missed is one I likely would have missed as well. I will see if anyone else answers before I give the correct answers.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
2 out of 3 correct. The one you missed is one I likely would have missed as well. I will see if anyone else answers before I give the correct answers.
#2 - illegal alignment is determined at the moment of contact of the serve per 6-4-3-b, so the R2's immediate whistle of the fault is correct
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
2 is just a missed serve. Inadvertent whistle did not affect play in this case.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Or to rephrase it: The inadvertent whistle did not cause the serve to become a fault. Loss of rally.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
Or to rephrase it: The inadvertent whistle did not cause the serve to become a fault. Loss of rally.
My bad... in re-reading sit #2 it is apparently saying that the R2 realized after they whistled for illegal alignment and the coach questioned the call, that team R wasn't actually out of alignment.

In this case, the proper ruling is replay. Per 9-3-3-k the ball becomes dead when a referee's whistle sounds. anything that happens after the ball is dead, i.e. the serve fails to legally cross the net as in the example, is irrelevant.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 12:49am.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
In this case, the proper ruling is replay. Per 9-3-3-k the ball becomes dead when a referee's whistle sounds. anything that happens after the ball is dead, i.e. the serve fails to legally cross the net as in the example, is irrelevant.
No. Inadvertent whistle. Did not affect the serve going into the net. Therefore, we proceed as if there was no whistle. Service fault, point to the receiving team. NOT a replay!
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Correct answer. #2 is a loss of rally from the serve into the net. The whistle for an illegal alignment was an inadvertent whistle, HOWEVER it never impact the result of the play.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
NFHS Rules - What's the call.

1 - as long as they didn't also make a libero replacement before this serve, this is legal.
2 - replay
3 - no, this is not a time where they can make a libero replacement.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I now see you're saying I would have missed number 2. Is this ruleset dependent? I can't find it right now in the USAV book. I don't do NFHS. Can you quote the rule or ruling? Your answer makes logical sense, but being an official, I like to see it in writing.

(PS - I ref all those other sports at the top. I don't ref volleyball - I coach and own a club).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me right now...it is the horn or inadvertent whistle that does not effect play. This is not a replay, just like a ball rolling on the court is not an automatic replay in any rule set. this action did not affect the result. Blowing a whistle while the setter is setting...well, there you go.

casebook 9.8.1 sit C.

Note: The rule book under 9.8.1 states bla,,,bla,,,bla. A replay MAY be declared when: a. A referee's inadvertent whistle or a timer's audio signal INTERRUPTS play;

Caps for MY emphasis. The whistle did not make the server serve into the net...

You have to read the casebook. The rule book has lots of pitfalls....and (my soap box) and there are several quirky things that could be improved.

Last edited by oldsetter; Sat Aug 30, 2014 at 08:00am.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a closely related question from the IHSA (Illinois) test. NFHS Rules.

Team A's #10 serves the ball. At the moment of serve, the R2 whistles an illegal alignment on Team B. The served ball does not cross the net. It is then discovered that Team B players were legally aligned. What is the official's ruling?

A. Replay
B. Point for Team A
C. Net serve by Team A and Team B is awarded a point/loss of rally.
D. None of the above.

Here is my issue with this question:

If the R2 whistled at the exact moment of the serve (server's hand was still contacting the ball when the whistle sounded), an argument could be made that the whistle interfered with the server's action. Thus, a replay (A) should be awarded.

However, if the server had already completed her contact with the ball when the whistle sounded, I would rule a net serve (C).

Fortunately, this was not one of the 25 questions I had to answer on my individual test. Have any Illinois officials on this forum had to answer this question? One test question has already been thrown out because it was worded so poorly. I am wondering what answer the state is accepting as correct for this question.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

So your issue is with a poorly worded question, not the rule. I feel ya' brother. At least we know the rule.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Here the exam is looked over with a fine tooth comb and our IC will edit wording of questions he feels aren't clear enough.Sometimes no matter how much editing goes on a question just doesn't make sense and they give it to us as a freebee.Sometimes I wonder when the last time the people writing the exam set foot on a volleyball court.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper