The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Switching benches

Thought we were all set with the new rule of players proceeding directly to their benches after each set, but then were told by our local association that the new rule only applies to the deciding set.

Is there a conflict in 5-4-4b and 5-4-4c?

Thanks.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book with me, I'll look it up in a bit. But the 'new' rule is players DO NOT report to the end lines after each set. For a deciding set, they go to their benches and wait for the result of the toss. That is the only difference. You are not the only person to get this confused.....Now I have to go to my rule book to see what you referenced.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

I guess the association still wants to use the behind the back mechanic and have one team go around the maypole to get to their new bench.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Oldsetter is correct about the new rule being that players need not report to the end line before switching courts. Somehow the slight change morphed into the teams going to their old bench, then switching courts.

I don't see any conflict between 5-4-4b and 5-4-4c. 5-4-4b states..."The first referee then whistles and directs the team to change courts or move to the appropriate team benches." It's written that way to include procedures between non-deciding sets (change courts) and deciding sets (move to appropriate team benches).

5-4-4c states "Following non-deciding sets...The players proceed counter clockwise along the sideline outside the standards, then directly to their new team benches." (bold mine)

5-4-4d addresses the procedure prior to a deciding set. 5-4-4d-1 reads "Whistle, signals the end-of-set and directs team to their benches." (not new benches) 5-4-4d-2,3,& 4 then define how the coin toss is to be conducted and whether teams will remain on the same side or change courts.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
5-4-4c states "Following non-deciding sets...The players proceed counter clockwise along the sideline outside the standards, then directly to their new team benches." (bold mine)
Seems to me the wording here is a bit excessive. Counter clockwise outside the standards would work just fine, but along the sideline is confusing for those of us who work rule sets where they don't need to go outside the standards, simply outside the sideline.

If they want people to go outside the standards, then they should just say that.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 08:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

I think it is the "outside the standards" language that appears conflicting...at least to the higher ups in my association. On a side note, during my last match, with the assigner, I was up official for the JV match and simply had them change benches. I was not instructed that I was incorrect.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
On a side note, during my last match, with the assigner, I was up official for the JV match and simply had them change benches. I was not instructed that I was incorrect.

Do it correctly all the same.