The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Question 2 x 4?

If, on the third hit, a player his the ball into the net and it rebounds back and contacts the player, what is the correct call?

A) 2 hits
B) 4 hits
C) Doesn't matter; pick one
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Think about which one would always be a violation regardless of who the ball touched......if it's the 4th team contact then I'd go with 4 hits - no need to determine who it touched. Same reason you wouldn't call illegal contact if it bounced off the net & was caught by a different player - doesn't matter what kind of contact it was. There's a reference to this somewhere in the rule/case book but I don't have them handy to look it up.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
If, on the third hit, a player his the ball into the net and it rebounds back and contacts the player, what is the correct call?

A) 2 hits
B) 4 hits
C) Doesn't matter; pick one
NFHS: 4
NCAA: 4
USAV: 2
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
NFHS: 4
NCAA: 4
USAV: 2
Thanks, Felix. Is there a cite for this info? Did I just miss it in all my reading?
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Think about which one would always be a violation regardless of who the ball touched......if it's the 4th team contact then I'd go with 4 hits - no need to determine who it touched. Same reason you wouldn't call illegal contact if it bounced off the net & was caught by a different player - doesn't matter what kind of contact it was. There's a reference to this somewhere in the rule/case book but I don't have them handy to look it up.
Thanks for the info. Though I don't entirely buy your logic. I can see saying just do the four hits because it's:

a) Consistent
b) Removes one additional judgment to have to make

However, the comparison to the fourth hit that is also a carry, doesn't quite work. In the 2 hits v. 4 hits scenario, both violations occurred. In the 4 hits v. illegal hit, the illegal hit didn't occur -- because the ball was dead the instant it touched the player for the fourth hit. It wasn't alive long enough for there to be prolonged contact.

But I believe I see what you were getting at with the analogy: Be consistent with the 4 hits call and it eliminates the need to even consider the details of the other violation.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Thanks, Felix. Is there a cite for this info? Did I just miss it in all my reading?
#95.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the 4 hits v. illegal hit, the illegal hit didn't occur -- because the ball was dead the instant it touched the player for the fourth hit. It wasn't alive long enough for there to be prolonged contact.
That's my point exactly. The instant the ball touches any player for the 4th contact it becomes dead - who it touches doesn't matter. Suppose the 4th contact was the ball hitting a player below the waist (illegal in NFHS) - the call is still 4 hits (at least in NFHS).

I know there's a reference to it in the NFHS material for this year, and it was mentioned in our rules meeting. I don't have my books with me & the online version is currently down - if I get a chance this weekend I'll dig it out & pass on the info for you.....
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
That's my point exactly. The instant the ball touches any player for the 4th contact it becomes dead - who it touches doesn't matter. Suppose the 4th contact was the ball hitting a player below the waist (illegal in NFHS) - the call is still 4 hits (at least in NFHS).

I know there's a reference to it in the NFHS material for this year, and it was mentioned in our rules meeting. I don't have my books with me & the online version is currently down - if I get a chance this weekend I'll dig it out & pass on the info for you.....
Thanks!
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
Thanks. This looks very useful!
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I was taught to always call '4 hits' in NFHS because when player stats are kept, you want to penalize a team vs. penalizing an individual player.