The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Friday night, PeeWee (14U) boys play-offs, solo mechanics. Two outs, no runners. B/R hits a ball to the gap between F8/F9. F8 and F9 converge, ball drops in front of a diving F8. F9 leaps over F8 as ball bounds towards the fence. From my pregame inspection of the field, I know it is possible for the ball to go under the fence, so I continued watching the ball until it hit the fence. I now glance to pick up the B/R, who is about 10 feet past 2nd where he stumbles and finally falls to the ground. B/R is now prone on the ground, halfway between 2nd and 3rd, holding his shoulder. B/R doesn't get up as ball comes in from the outfield and F4 walks over and tags him.

Offensive couch comes out claiming that F4 "interfered" with the B/R. At this time I am kicking myself for not picking up the B/R sooner (also thinking that two umpires should have been assigned to the game). I did not bother to correct the coach's terminology. I simply stated that I did not see it, and therefore could not call it. The coach argued a little but accepted the call.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon, championship game. One of the fathers has been assigned to help out on the bases. During the pregame, I asked if he has umpired before, he said he has done the bases in this playoff tournament a couple of times before. I quickly go over some basic mechanics and call responsibilities. As we start the game, he sets up behind first base in fair territory. I think about correcting his position, but I don't want to delay the game for a mechanics clinic. Well this guy only uses two positions, the "modified A" and B, he never goes to C. First play at second is an "Out, whoops the ball was dropped, Safe". Steal of third, I make the call from the plate after getting seeing his shrug. Later, R1 .. I see him make an out sign as the pitch is on the way, no vocalization. I call time, step out to see what is up and he says the runner left early. OK, we have an out, but am I ever glad that the batter didn't hit the ball. The coach's and fans are complaining after every close play he calls. Twice I am asked to overrule his calls, naturally I refuse.

He got all, but maybe one of the calls correct, but he didn't sell any of his calls and so the coachs/fans were questioning all of his calls.

Long and short of it, I think I would rather work with the inherent shortcomings of the single umpire system than work two man mechanics with someone who, although well meaning, doesn't have the knowledge or experience to be out there.

Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Well.....

Take your last sentence........and add me to the list of affirmatives in that school of thought.

Well stated.

Jeff
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well.....

Quote:
Originally posted by NC_Blue
Take your last sentence........and add me to the list of affirmatives in that school of thought.

Well stated.

Jeff

The more people I meet.....the more I love my dogs.
I tend to agree - especially in playoff games. During the regular season, I frequently had youth umps. They were at least coachable. Sometimes - more work than a solo game - gotta glance and make sure they are where they need to be.

-Kono
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

In the school season, I try to work a few JV games with new or inexperienced partners from my chapter. In summer ball, I'll work a few younger level games - 14&U or so for the same purpose. I'll also go observe some games for evavluation putposes. In an important game, I want a qualified partner - if not, I agree with those who prefer to work alone.

Steve M
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a Pony 16U this weekend, teams from several states. Did 4 one-man bracket games on Saturday, 3 elimination with a partner on Sunday. In the one-man games, I had several calls where I wished I had a partner. A checked swing, a bunt that may have come up and hit the batter, a play at first where the throw came from right field and an infielder blocked my view at the last instant, a steal of third where the ball beat the runner and F5 got the glove down but maybe the kid slid around the tag, a swipe tag that appeared to miss the runner but I wasn't sure, etc. I was relieved to have partners Sunday, especially because they were guys I often work with, experienced and sharp.

But as tough as one-man games can be, I'd rather take a chance on getting blocked on a few plays than work with somebody who does not know what he is doing. I've seen calls blown so badly that I simply could not let them stand. What else do you do when a runner beats a throw at 1B by three steps and nobody is even looking for a call, but suddenly there's "Out!"? How about a ball that's five feet fair and called foul? Or how about when he blows your own call for you and you have have to announce that it's your call and it's going the other way? But then the damage is done--and they're looking to you to correct every one of the stiff's calls.