The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

A1 Reaching UNDER Net

Interesting discussion at last night's association meeting.

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on B's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts A1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on B's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if a B player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if A's actions were intentional?
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have the answer to your play but I would like to add to that discussion

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on A's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts B1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on A's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if an A player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if B's actions were intentional? Or Unintentional?

Last edited by Zoochy; Mon Sep 23, 2019 at 01:18pm.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Interesting discussion at last night's association meeting.

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on B's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts A1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on B's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if a B player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if A's actions were intentional?
No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball. Center line fault if it does. Entirely on the other side doesn't matter if it's in the air. Interference does.

Hope that helps.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball. Center line fault if it does. Entirely on the other side doesn't matter if it's in the air. Interference does.

Hope that helps.
Does A'1 intent matter?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball...
But what about Net Play, NFHS Rule 9.6.3 - "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block"?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Does A'1 intent matter?
No.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
But what about Net Play, NFHS Rule 9.6.3 - "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block"?
This action is right after a legal block. It's a fine line. If there's a player trying to cover and it interferes with that attempt, then interference is a valid decision.

If there's no one around and you call something because it was blocked into a foot, well, that's a really tough sell.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This action is right after a legal block. It's a fine line. If there's a player trying to cover and it interferes with that attempt, then interference is a valid decision.

If there's no one around and you call something because it was blocked into a foot, well, that's a really tough sell.
So if it bounces back up in the air, B can play it?

(This is all part of the discussion we had -- the definition of interference in rule 9-xxx (sorry, no books), along with the lack of "over the net" in the "contacts the ball on the other side of the net" rule, etc.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

(This is all part of the discussion we had -- the definition of interference in rule 9-xxx (sorry, no books), along with the lack of "over the net" in the "contacts the ball on the other side of the net" rule, etc.
No, it's a dead ball. Then you determine if interference occurred.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't see interference as the root issue. It is illegal to touch a ball that has completely crossed the vertical plane of the net unless the contact is a legal block. The action as described in the original post is definitely not a legal block. The language in the rule book seems pretty clear to me. I don't know why a player would have their foot in the air completely on the opponent's side and make contact with the ball but this contact is a violation and should be called, regardless of intent or interference. I don't see it as that tough of a "sell" at all.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see interference as the root issue. It is illegal to touch a ball that has completely crossed the vertical plane of the net unless the contact is a legal block. The action as described in the original post is definitely not a legal block. The language in the rule book seems pretty clear to me. I don't know why a player would have their foot in the air completely on the opponent's side and make contact with the ball but this contact is a violation and should be called, regardless of intent or interference. I don't see it as that tough of a "sell" at all.
Happens quite a bit in the men's game.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, it's a dead ball. Then you determine if interference occurred.

So -- if it's interference (B was attempting to, and had a reasonable chance to, play the ball), regardless of intent, B's point.

If it's not interference, regardless of intent, A's point.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So -- if it's interference (B was attempting to, and had a reasonable chance to, play the ball), regardless of intent, B's point.

If it's not interference, regardless of intent, A's point.
Not if playing NFHS rules and you apply Rule 9.6.3 as it is written.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've quoted the rule for which we are determining reaching over the net. Are you advocating using that signal for something under the net?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've quoted the rule for which we are determining reaching over the net. Are you advocating using that signal for something under the net?
Section 9.6 deals with Net Play generally and not Over the Net specifically. Rule 9.6.3 covers contacting a ball that is completely on the opponent's side and doesn't contain a reference as to the height of the ball. I believe the correct sequence would be whistle, award point to Team B, Signal 6 (Net Fault) against Team A. Team A coach may not like the call but Team B coach is certainly not going to like it if you do not call it.