The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   A1 Reaching UNDER Net (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/104737-a1-reaching-under-net.html)

bob jenkins Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:37pm

A1 Reaching UNDER Net

Interesting discussion at last night's association meeting.

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on B's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts A1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on B's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if a B player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if A's actions were intentional?

Zoochy Mon Sep 23, 2019 01:15pm

I don't have the answer to your play but I would like to add to that discussion

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on A's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts B1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on A's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if an A player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if B's actions were intentional? Or Unintentional?

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1034561)
Interesting discussion at last night's association meeting.

Play: B1 blocks ball, and the ball falls on B's side of the net. Before the ball hits the floor, the ball contacts A1's foot, which is in the air and entirely on B's side of the center line. Ruling?

Does it matter if a B player was attempting to play the ball? Does it matter if A's actions were intentional?

No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball. Center line fault if it does. Entirely on the other side doesn't matter if it's in the air. Interference does.

Hope that helps.

bob jenkins Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1034607)
No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball. Center line fault if it does. Entirely on the other side doesn't matter if it's in the air. Interference does.

Hope that helps.

Does A'1 intent matter?

genetoy71 Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1034607)
No fault if it doesn't interfere with B's ability to play the ball...

But what about Net Play, NFHS Rule 9.6.3 - "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block"?

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1034609)
Does A'1 intent matter?

No.

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetoy71 (Post 1034613)
But what about Net Play, NFHS Rule 9.6.3 - "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block"?

This action is right after a legal block. It's a fine line. If there's a player trying to cover and it interferes with that attempt, then interference is a valid decision.

If there's no one around and you call something because it was blocked into a foot, well, that's a really tough sell.

bob jenkins Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1034616)
This action is right after a legal block. It's a fine line. If there's a player trying to cover and it interferes with that attempt, then interference is a valid decision.

If there's no one around and you call something because it was blocked into a foot, well, that's a really tough sell.

So if it bounces back up in the air, B can play it?

(This is all part of the discussion we had -- the definition of interference in rule 9-xxx (sorry, no books), along with the lack of "over the net" in the "contacts the ball on the other side of the net" rule, etc.

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1034617)

(This is all part of the discussion we had -- the definition of interference in rule 9-xxx (sorry, no books), along with the lack of "over the net" in the "contacts the ball on the other side of the net" rule, etc.

No, it's a dead ball. Then you determine if interference occurred.

genetoy71 Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1034617)

I don't see interference as the root issue. It is illegal to touch a ball that has completely crossed the vertical plane of the net unless the contact is a legal block. The action as described in the original post is definitely not a legal block. The language in the rule book seems pretty clear to me. I don't know why a player would have their foot in the air completely on the opponent's side and make contact with the ball but this contact is a violation and should be called, regardless of intent or interference. I don't see it as that tough of a "sell" at all.

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetoy71 (Post 1034620)
I don't see interference as the root issue. It is illegal to touch a ball that has completely crossed the vertical plane of the net unless the contact is a legal block. The action as described in the original post is definitely not a legal block. The language in the rule book seems pretty clear to me. I don't know why a player would have their foot in the air completely on the opponent's side and make contact with the ball but this contact is a violation and should be called, regardless of intent or interference. I don't see it as that tough of a "sell" at all.

Happens quite a bit in the men's game.

bob jenkins Wed Sep 25, 2019 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1034619)
No, it's a dead ball. Then you determine if interference occurred.

So -- if it's interference (B was attempting to, and had a reasonable chance to, play the ball), regardless of intent, B's point.

If it's not interference, regardless of intent, A's point.

genetoy71 Wed Sep 25, 2019 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1034622)
So -- if it's interference (B was attempting to, and had a reasonable chance to, play the ball), regardless of intent, B's point.

If it's not interference, regardless of intent, A's point.

Not if playing NFHS rules and you apply Rule 9.6.3 as it is written.

FMadera Wed Sep 25, 2019 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetoy71 (Post 1034620)

You've quoted the rule for which we are determining reaching over the net. Are you advocating using that signal for something under the net?

genetoy71 Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1034626)
You've quoted the rule for which we are determining reaching over the net. Are you advocating using that signal for something under the net?

Section 9.6 deals with Net Play generally and not Over the Net specifically. Rule 9.6.3 covers contacting a ball that is completely on the opponent's side and doesn't contain a reference as to the height of the ball. I believe the correct sequence would be whistle, award point to Team B, Signal 6 (Net Fault) against Team A. Team A coach may not like the call but Team B coach is certainly not going to like it if you do not call it.