The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Replacement

Libero is LB as team gets a side out. Libero is supposed to serve, but leaves the court. The middle (former RF) goes back to serve and R1 beckons. Libero now runs on the court, middle leaves and Libero serves. R1 correctly calls illegal alignment (?) and awards a point to the other team.

Can Libero remain in the game? Does the team need to do a "proper" replacement (middle return,s then middle and Libero exchange behind the attack line)? Does Libero need to stay on the bench for another point? Other?

FED rules if it matters; I'd also be interested in NCAAW (and, I guess, USAV)
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

The libero may stay in after the illegal alignment penalty.

At the end of Rule 10 under penalties it says..."If identified after whistle/signal for serve, illegal alignment results (loss of rally/point). In all cases, the illegal libero shall enter legally or be replaced by a legal player."

The sentence prior to the quotation marks addresses the penalty for an illegal libero replacement prior to the whistle/signal for serve.
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That was the reference given by about half the people in the room. The other half said the libero had to leave for a point.
Old Fri May 25, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with PaREF. I believe this is correct for all 3 associations as well.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the illegal alignment call.

Quote:
12.2.1.2 Replacements involving the libero are not counted as substitutions and are unlimited. There must be at least one completed rally between two libero replacements, unless the libero is replacing the player in position No. 1 and is the next correct server, the libero is ill or injured (See Rule 12.3.1), or there is a forced rotation caused by a penalty. The libero can only be replaced by the player whom she replaced. An incorrect libero replacement results in a delay sanction if the officials identify and correct the situation before the next service contact. If identified after service contact, a position fault results.
That explicitly states that you CAN have two separate libero replacements if and only if the libero is legally going back to serve. Moreover...

Quote:
12.2.2.1 Replacements can only take place after a completed rally or at the start of each set after the second referee has verified the starting lineup. The replacement must occur while the ball is out of play and before the authorization for service. A replacement made after the authorization for service but before service contact is not rejected, but a verbal warning is issued. Subsequent late replacements in the match result in a delay sanction
So if the concern was that the replacement took place after the beckon, it still is only worth a warning.

(For clarification, that's from the NCAAW rulebook, I'm not very familiar with NFHS)
Old Thu Jun 28, 2018, 06:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla vb View Post
(For clarification, that's from the NCAAW rulebook, I'm not very familiar with NFHS)
Bob works FED, which is different from NCAAW that you and I are familiar with.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2018, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Bob works FED, which is different from NCAAW that you and I are familiar with.
Their rule book isn't available for free. Do FED rules specify that the libero must stay on the court for the double switch when she goes back to serve?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla vb View Post
Their rule book isn't available for free. Do FED rules specify that the libero must stay on the court for the double switch when she goes back to serve?
No. But, there can't be any delay, or it's a delay warning.

And, the NCAA statement: "A replacement made after the authorization for service but before service contact is not rejected, but a verbal warning is issued. " is not applicable in FED. In FED, the statement is "Replacements may only take place ... (c) while the ball is out of play and prior to the whistle and signal for serve." The penalty is illegal alignment (loss of rally / point.)