The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quiz Question

S2 and R4 legally and simultaneously contact a ball above the top of the net. The ball lands out of bounds on team R's side of the net. The first referee should whistle and award the point and server to team R.

a. True
b. False

I think it's true -- but that's not what is given as the correct answer. Am I missing something, or is the answer key wrong?
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I am only familiar with the NFHS rule set, but this is covered by Rule 9-4(6)(d). When opposing players contact the ball at the same instant, the player on the opposite side of the net from which the ball falls shall be considered the player to have touched the ball last.

In your scenario, the ball landed out of bounds on Team R's side. Therefore - out on Team S. Point & serve to Team R. Correct answer would be TRUE.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2018, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
I am only familiar with the NFHS rule set, but this is covered by Rule 9-4(6)(d). When opposing players contact the ball at the same instant, the player on the opposite side of the net from which the ball falls shall be considered the player to have touched the ball last.

In your scenario, the ball landed out of bounds on Team R's side. Therefore - out on Team S. Point & serve to Team R. Correct answer would be TRUE.
Thanks -- that was my analysis and reasoning.

The question was from RefMag -- I know from other sports I do that more answers than should be are incorrect -- but since I'm newer to VB, I wanted to check my reasoning.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2018, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The question was from RefMag -- I know from other sports I do that more answers than should be are incorrect...
That is the reason I allowed my subscription to expire several years ago. The quiz questions and the given answers drove me nuts on a regular basis.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2018, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Seems that Referee Magazine is a basketball, football, baseball officiating magazine, that occasionally throws in some VB and other sports to pretend that they cover all of the major high school sports.

I suspect that if we researched the backgrounds of the editors/publishers and primary writers of the magazine, few if any would have any real VB officiating experience.

I inquired about submitting a couple things a few years ago, but the person they had in charge of the volleyball info (a legit VB officiating star that has worked the NCAA Final Four) wasn't interested at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯