The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Illegal Replacement (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/103842-illegal-replacement.html)

bob jenkins Sun May 20, 2018 09:15pm

Illegal Replacement

Libero is LB as team gets a side out. Libero is supposed to serve, but leaves the court. The middle (former RF) goes back to serve and R1 beckons. Libero now runs on the court, middle leaves and Libero serves. R1 correctly calls illegal alignment (?) and awards a point to the other team.

Can Libero remain in the game? Does the team need to do a "proper" replacement (middle return,s then middle and Libero exchange behind the attack line)? Does Libero need to stay on the bench for another point? Other?

FED rules if it matters; I'd also be interested in NCAAW (and, I guess, USAV)

PaREF Wed May 23, 2018 06:08pm

The libero may stay in after the illegal alignment penalty.

At the end of Rule 10 under penalties it says..."If identified after whistle/signal for serve, illegal alignment results (loss of rally/point). In all cases, the illegal libero shall enter legally or be replaced by a legal player."

The sentence prior to the quotation marks addresses the penalty for an illegal libero replacement prior to the whistle/signal for serve.

bob jenkins Wed May 23, 2018 08:46pm

Thanks. That was the reference given by about half the people in the room. The other half said the libero had to leave for a point.

Tony.oe4 Fri May 25, 2018 03:33pm

I agree with PaREF. I believe this is correct for all 3 associations as well.

kayla vb Wed Jun 20, 2018 01:06am

I don't understand the illegal alignment call.

Quote:

12.2.1.2 Replacements involving the libero are not counted as substitutions and are unlimited. There must be at least one completed rally between two libero replacements, unless the libero is replacing the player in position No. 1 and is the next correct server, the libero is ill or injured (See Rule 12.3.1), or there is a forced rotation caused by a penalty. The libero can only be replaced by the player whom she replaced. An incorrect libero replacement results in a delay sanction if the officials identify and correct the situation before the next service contact. If identified after service contact, a position fault results.
That explicitly states that you CAN have two separate libero replacements if and only if the libero is legally going back to serve. Moreover...

Quote:

12.2.2.1 Replacements can only take place after a completed rally or at the start of each set after the second referee has verified the starting lineup. The replacement must occur while the ball is out of play and before the authorization for service. A replacement made after the authorization for service but before service contact is not rejected, but a verbal warning is issued. Subsequent late replacements in the match result in a delay sanction
So if the concern was that the replacement took place after the beckon, it still is only worth a warning.

(For clarification, that's from the NCAAW rulebook, I'm not very familiar with NFHS)

Scrapper1 Thu Jun 28, 2018 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayla vb (Post 1022428)
(For clarification, that's from the NCAAW rulebook, I'm not very familiar with NFHS)

Bob works FED, which is different from NCAAW that you and I are familiar with.

kayla vb Thu Jun 28, 2018 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1022587)
Bob works FED, which is different from NCAAW that you and I are familiar with.

Their rule book isn't available for free. Do FED rules specify that the libero must stay on the court for the double switch when she goes back to serve?

bob jenkins Mon Jul 02, 2018 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayla vb (Post 1022592)
Their rule book isn't available for free. Do FED rules specify that the libero must stay on the court for the double switch when she goes back to serve?

No. But, there can't be any delay, or it's a delay warning.

And, the NCAA statement: "A replacement made after the authorization for service but before service contact is not rejected, but a verbal warning is issued. " is not applicable in FED. In FED, the statement is "Replacements may only take place ... (c) while the ball is out of play and prior to the whistle and signal for serve." The penalty is illegal alignment (loss of rally / point.)