The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Players Cheering

NFHS rules (but I'd be interested in other codes).

Team B likes to "cheer" before each point. This "cheer" consists of the players on the floor, as a group, yelling "Spartans!" (once) followed by a single clap-and-simultaneous-foot-stomp.

Any issues if this is done before the beckon for Team A's serve? After the beckon but before A starts any action related to the serve? While Team A is "in the act" of serving?

What if it's Team B that's serving in the above situations?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Duh!!

If this done at an appropriate time, I have no problem with it - i.e. immediately after the end of the rally. However, if the team is late with it and after I've beckoned for serve by the other team, then IMO I have an issue with it.

I've only seen this once. It was 2 years ago in a GJV match, and the team did it after every point. During the first set, I slowed down to allow it so as not to disrupt the other team's server. However during the set break, I called the coach over and had a talk with her - do it but not after the call for service. Her answer was "well, we've been doing it all season". DUH!!

Y.U.D.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NFHS rules (but I'd be interested in other codes).

Team B likes to "cheer" before each point. This "cheer" consists of the players on the floor, as a group, yelling "Spartans!" (once) followed by a single clap-and-simultaneous-foot-stomp.
If not unsporting, then there's no issue. I don't immediately see a problem here.

Quote:
Any issues if this is done before the beckon for Team A's serve?
Again, not that I can see.
Quote:
After the beckon but before A starts any action related to the serve?
Nope.
Quote:
While Team A is "in the act" of serving?
If you deem it an attempt to distract the server, yes. If not, no. Teams are not necessarily required to be silent while the server serves.

Quote:
What if it's Team B that's serving in the above situations?
If you deem it unsporting, rule it so. If not, don't.

Sometimes use the other team's reaction as a guide to yours. If they have zero problem with it, sometimes you need to just go with the flow.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post

If you deem it an attempt to distract the server, yes. If not, no. Teams are not necessarily required to be silent while the server serves.
And, what's the penalty? What if it's not *meant* to distract the server, but, because of the timing, *does* distract the server?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, what's the penalty? What if it's not *meant* to distract the server, but, because of the timing, *does* distract the server?
It's an unsporting conduct violation. And if you feel it caused the server to miss the serve, then regardless of intent, you can replay the point.

I would try to nip it in the bud before it gets to that point, though. Remember the server can be 40 feet or more from people making noise, if you're gonna go there, make it obvious.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
It's an unsporting conduct violation. And if you feel it caused the server to miss the serve, then regardless of intent, you can replay the point.

I would try to nip it in the bud before it gets to that point, though. Remember the server can be 40 feet or more from people making noise, if you're gonna go there, make it obvious.
Thanks.

This happened during a 7th-8th grade parochial league match. I admonished the team the first time, they got better, but did it again later in the match. The serve was out, so I called a replay, with no other penalty. The parents (behind me) seemed to get it (based on the comments), the coach seemed confused, and the team stopped doing the cheer altogether.

I did get with them after the match to explain more on the timing issue -- once I compared it to a basketball FT ("you wouldn't yell right when an opponent was shooting a FT"), they seemed to get it.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2017, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

We had this issue addressed by the state association a couple years ago regarding "Ball UP" calls. Team would call ball up very loud every time the server tossed the ball for her serve.

The state ruling was that it should not be loud enough to district the opposing server. If it was, its unsporting conduct on the floor captain (if all doing it), or on the player if only 1 is doing it. If it is not loud enough to distract the server its nothing.