The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 11, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

In little league can the offensive bench chant while the pitcher is in the act of picthing? I can't find a specific rule.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

cheering

I have had this happen. If it is distracting the pitcher it should be interference. You should have your pitcher call time and talk to the umpire. It is up to the umpire to decide if it is a distraction. One of those judgement calls we all love !
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I allow it unless...

1) It is personal toward the pitcher or any other defensive player, or

2) It is timed so a bunch of noise erupts just as the pitcher is beginning her delivery, or

3) It includes loud mechanical noises (noise makers, banging stuff against the dugout roof or fence, that sort of thing.)

Merely cheering, though, is allowed. This is softball, not tennis or golf.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: cheering

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
I have had this happen. If it is distracting the pitcher it should be interference. You should have your pitcher call time and talk to the umpire. It is up to the umpire to decide if it is a distraction. One of those judgement calls we all love !
I HATE organized cheers by the teams. Wouldn't be so bad if it were occassional and diverse, but so many teams just recycle the same couple of cheers on a continual basis.

I HATE CHEERS! But it's not my game, it's theirs. And as an umpire, I am not going to stop them unless the remarks are disparaging or degrading to the opponent or officials.

But I STILL HATE CHEERS!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

In Little League, review the definition of interference. It discusses Offensive and Defensive interference.

If the offense hinders or confuses a fielder from making a play, then batter is out. Chanting is normal in the course of play; however, screaming and yelling right when the pitch is delivered would only be done to hinder or confuse the pitcher. I would warn offense one time.

Same on defense, if they yell "Swing", warn, then award first base the following times.

Spectator interference cannot be called for yelling and screaming and can only be called if they reach for the ball, go on field, etc. In my experience, spectators usually become unruly when their team is losing. At that point, as authorized under 9.01 (f), send the teams to their dugouts until it is halted. If your league sets time limits on the games, then peer pressure will help halt the situation as their team will be losing precious time.

If all else fails and there is no specific rule, utilize 9.01 (c).
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: Re: cheering

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
... snip ... But I STILL HATE CHEERS!
[/B]
Did you like TAXI?
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Cheering

sprivitor,

"Spectator interference cannot be called for yelling and screaming and can only be called if they reach for the ball, go on field, etc. In my experience, spectators usually become unruly when their team is losing. At that point, as authorized under 9.01 (f), send the teams to their dugouts until it is halted. If your league sets time limits on the games, then peer pressure will help halt the situation as their team will be losing precious time."

That's a great suggestion if the spectator/s doing this are for the team that is behind, it would be a real disadvantage if the field was cleared while the clock was ticking and the spectator responsible was rooting for the team that was winning.

Michael
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: cheering

Quote:
I HATE organized cheers by the teams. Wouldn't be so bad if it were occassional and diverse, but so many teams just recycle the same couple of cheers on a continual basis.

I HATE CHEERS! ... I STILL HATE CHEERS!
Don't do much girls JO ball, do you, Mike? Either that, or you're in a constant state of smoldering, simmering agitation

C'mon... all together...

"Rollin, rollin' rollin'..."

"There she goes justa walkin' down the line ..."

"Extra, extra, read all about it ..."

"Homerun hitter is up to bat ..."

"Rally, rally on two, two ..."

"Nacho, nacho pitch ..."
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

"Down in the softball Cemetary..."

"Alex is up to bat, she can really whack..."

Some of my favorites. I love the kids cheering and getting into the game. Afterall, I'm in it for the kids.

steve
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota

The first part of my response was quoting sprivitor's post. Nothing in my response indicate's that I don't do much girls JO ball, or that I'm in a constant state of smoldering, simmering agitation

As long as the cheers are done in a sportsman like manner I get grins and chuckles from them.

Michael
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
Dakota

The first part of my response was quoting sprivitor's post. Nothing in my response indicate's that I don't do much girls JO ball, or that I'm in a constant state of smoldering, simmering agitation

As long as the cheers are done in a sportsman like manner I get grins and chuckles from them.

Michael
Michael,

I was responding to the other Mike (Rowe). And, I was also poking fun.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: cheering

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

I HATE CHEERS! ... I STILL HATE CHEERS!
Don't do much girls JO ball, do you, Mike? Either that, or you're in a constant state of smoldering, simmering agitation

C'mon... all together...

"Rollin, rollin' rollin'..."

"There she goes justa walkin' down the line ..."

"Extra, extra, read all about it ..."

"Homerun hitter is up to bat ..."

"Rally, rally on two, two ..."

"Nacho, nacho pitch ..."
Only when necessary

However, this weekend will be the first time in few years that I am NOT the UIC for the JO States. However, I will be in attendence the entire tournament helping out.

BTW, have been to the Bull & Finch a few times. Small, SMALL bar, but I loved the show. Didn't care one way or the other about Taxi.