The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Cheering during game....

Question about this because this popped up on me last year and again two weeks ago, and there are conflicting opinions on enforcement.

PONY Tournament - National Qualifier. 14U

Head coach of defensive team comes to PU in bottom of first inning and asks if he could tell the other team to not "cheer loudly" when pitcher is in her windup, as it is distracting.

* How do you handle this? The cheering is NOT derogatory, nor is it unsportsmanlike. It is loud, but I'm sure we've all heard it before..."Too high..too to high...to high to make it fly.." "to the green 16 to the green" ... "I see a Gap and _______ is going shopping...." etc.

I don't like to open a can of worms when I don't have to...but I had a situation in which I had the bases for a semifinal game and my partner told both coaches and team captains NOT to cheer loudly .. especially during the pitcher's windup...and when I had the plate for the Finals, one of the coaches wanted the same "rule" enforced by me.

Because the can of worms was opened, the coach even asked me to talk to the other teams' coach about re-stating the count while the pitcher goes into her windup.

This is a game the coaches are playing and I won't let them one up each other on MY time.

Is there a rule in PONY that states no cheering during windup? I know that it's an unsportsmanlike thing to do to scream or distract when the pitcher begins her windup and I will be happy to enforce that, but the back and forth games that the coaches are playing just to get into each other's heads I will NOT tolerate.

I am not a babysitter.

Opinions? Please steer me right on this.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
This is NOT golf, tennis or chess - if his little snowflake of a P can't concentrate because somebody is CHEERING....she will never make it anyways....
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA...... let them cheer......
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Sure wish I could coach. No one hates cheering more than me. If it wasnt for cheering, softball would be the perfect sport. Have a nice day.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

What is this the No Fun League? Let them cheer, let them dance, let them have fun.

"As long as it is not unsportsman like, they can cheer. This is softball, not church, good try coach."
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking PONY.... no there is nothing to back the coaches request as is.... now if it gets vulgar or personal or racial.... then warn.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Speaking PONY.... no there is nothing to back the coaches request as is.... now if it gets vulgar or personal or racial.... then warn.
Personal, I'd warn. Vulgar, I'd definitely warn, if not eject (depends on what's said). Racial? Hell no, they're gone. If the whole team is cheering a "racial cheer" (boy, isn't THAT an oxymoron!), and the coach does nothing to stop it, I'm running the coach.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Personal, I'd warn. Vulgar, I'd definitely warn, if not eject (depends on what's said). Racial? Hell no, they're gone. If the whole team is cheering a "racial cheer" (boy, isn't THAT an oxymoron!), and the coach does nothing to stop it, I'm running the coach.
Yeah well, things are a little different in Louisiana
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Durned Cajuns!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Now define vulgar or racial. What may be racial in CA may not be in LA. What may be vulgar in OH may not be in NC.

I'm not suggesting what is considered "socially unacceptable" language altogether (though I do not believe in profanity), just make sure you are aware of the context in which a certain word or phrase is being used when working a game between teams from different regions before you start warning and ejecting folks. Even if it is unacceptable where you may be standing, most coaches will understand the problem if explained to them assuming there is some level of intelligence there. Okay, stop laughing, I was trying to be serious.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I always appreciate a good verbal smack at our friends from the swamp.

I'm a little gun shy this week. I tried to give a verbal jab at one of the swampers last week on another board, all I did was step on it.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now define vulgar or racial. What may be racial in CA may not be in LA. What may be vulgar in OH may not be in NC.

I'm not suggesting what is considered "socially unacceptable" language altogether (though I do not believe in profanity), just make sure you are aware of the context in which a certain word or phrase is being used when working a game between teams from different regions before you start warning and ejecting folks. Even if it is unacceptable where you may be standing, most coaches will understand the problem if explained to them assuming there is some level of intelligence there. Okay, stop laughing, I was trying to be serious.
They do this thread over in basketball a couple times a year.

Everyone has opinions on whats socially unacceptable and so forth.

Here is my jibberish.

I'm reffing a HS basketball Boys Varsity. Both schools are urban schools. Visitor player blocks Home players shot OOB. I'm watching the kids.

kid whose shot was just blocked " he!! ni**er you couldn't do that again if I let you. "

Blocker : Laughs: then they do a handshake thing and play on.

In context there was nothing going on but 2 kids doing their thing. Out of context we got racial slurs, taunting and whatever else you need to grab out of said Sitch.

I let the kids do their thing.

So it may be a had to be there thing.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 05:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
HS basketball Boys Varsity. Both schools are urban schools. Visitor player blocks Home players shot OOB. I'm watching the kids.

kid [blockee] whose shot was just blocked " he!! ni**er you couldn't do that again if I let you. "

I have lived and officiated boys'/girls' H.S. and women's college basketball in both Miami and Los Angeles, and in my games, the "blockee" would be gone. Why? There is NEVER (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) any excuse for one not conducting herself/himself as a lady/gentleman. It is crass and boorish behavior at the very least. If they want to do that on the playground that is their business but not in an organized game at the high school or college level.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have lived and officiated boys'/girls' H.S. and women's college basketball in both Miami and Los Angeles, and in my games, the "blockee" would be gone. Why? There is NEVER (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) any excuse for one not conducting herself/himself as a lady/gentleman. It is crass and boorish behavior at the very least. If they want to do that on the playground that is their business but not in an organized game at the high school or college level.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
I'm reffing a HS basketball Boys Varsity. Both schools are urban schools. Visitor player blocks Home players shot OOB. I'm watching the kids.

kid whose shot was just blocked " he!! ni**er you couldn't do that again if I let you.
In context there was nothing going on but 2 kids doing their thing. Out of context we got racial slurs, taunting and whatever else you need to grab out of said Sitch.

I let the kids do their thing. So it may be a had to be there thing.
Thank you for making my point. Different cultures, different reaction to the same event.

Part of the problem with this country is the lack of intelligence in understanding we ain't all the same. While some may take tolerance to an extreme absurdity, others believe their way is the only way and everyone should conform to them.

In the infamous words of Frank Burns: Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together.

Far too many Frank Burns in this world.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
(snip)

Far too many Frank Burns in this world.
and not enough Margaret Houlihans......

(sure I wasn't the first to think it... just the first to type it)