The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Opinions requested

Play: ASA rules. No runners on, 1 out. X -2 count on the RH batter. Pitch is not in the strike zone, batter moves bat off of her shoulder, but was not close to a swing. PU rings batter up saying she swung.

3rd base coach takes objection and want to discuss swinging third strike call with PU. PU comes to BU (me) and says, "she held up that swing, didn't she?" I tell PU that I did not have a swing. PU asks how we should handle it. My answer was that we eat the call and stay with the strike. My reasoning in that moment was that I don't want any coach thinking they can appeal a swinging strike called by the PU. I have had some other umpires I respect tell me we should have reversed the call since it was so obviously wrong.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 12:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

How does this conversation even happen? A coach left his position to argue balls and strikes -- is that acceptable in the fastpitch world?

(Seriously, I'm asking this as a baseball umpire who may end up working some softball eventually. In baseball, a PU's decision of a swinging strike is not appealable. That's what the PU *should've* said to the coach unless things are really different in fastpitch.)
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How does this conversation even happen? A coach left his position to argue balls and strikes -- is that acceptable in the fastpitch world?
The conversation should not have happened, but not for that reason. This is the reason:
(btw, he didn't "argue balls and strikes," he asked about judgement on a swing)
Quote:
(Seriously, I'm asking this as a baseball umpire who may end up working some softball eventually. In baseball, a PU's decision of a swinging strike is not appealable. That's what the PU *should've* said to the coach unless things are really different in fastpitch.)
PU should have said: "Coach, I have it as a swing, it is a swing." Case closed. Asking your partner's opinion is for after the game.

If I were Andy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
PU comes to BU (me) ...
I'm stopping PU before he gets there with the phrase: "you called it a strike." Quite possibly an emphatic point.

I can understand why Andy may have had a full conversation, as he might be training newer umpires. If my partner is a newer guy, I'm saying the same, but maybe not so overtly (or where other can hear). Then we have a good post-game.

Last edited by Big Slick; Mon Jun 29, 2015 at 12:45pm.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I would tell the Coach, if he had a beef with the PU's call- go talk to HIM.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Play: ASA rules. No runners on, 1 out. X -2 count on the RH batter. Pitch is not in the strike zone, batter moves bat off of her shoulder, but was not close to a swing. PU rings batter up saying she swung.

3rd base coach takes objection and want to discuss swinging third strike call with PU. PU comes to BU (me) and says, "she held up that swing, didn't she?" I tell PU that I did not have a swing. PU asks how we should handle it. My answer was that we eat the call and stay with the strike. My reasoning in that moment was that I don't want any coach thinking they can appeal a swinging strike called by the PU. I have had some other umpires I respect tell me we should have reversed the call since it was so obviously wrong.

Thoughts?
Ouch, but if I am PU, I have to eat that call. Same as the call I have to eat if I ring up the batter on strikes with a pitch across the chin or shins.
Also, I've made this call. I ate it. It did not taste good, but I learned when in doubt on a short swing that fools me, ball the pitch and go for help. Sometimes even before the catcher can ask. I don't know if this is an approved mechanic in any code I work, but I've never yet had a problem with it.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Jun 29, 2015 at 10:02pm.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 11:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
The conversation should not have happened, but not for that reason. This is the reason:
(btw, he didn't "argue balls and strikes," he asked about judgement on a swing)

PU should have said: "Coach, I have it as a swing, it is a swing." Case closed. Asking your partner's opinion is for after the game.

If I were Andy:

I'm stopping PU before he gets there with the phrase: "you called it a strike." Quite possibly an emphatic point.

I can understand why Andy may have had a full conversation, as he might be training newer umpires. If my partner is a newer guy, I'm saying the same, but maybe not so overtly (or where other can hear). Then we have a good post-game.
That's arguing balls and strikes in the baseball world.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

You can't un-ring a swing.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
when in doubt on a short swing that fools me, ball the pitch and go for help. Sometimes even before the catcher can ask. I don't know if this is an approved mechanic in any code I work, but I've never yet had a problem with it.
AFAIK, that is the correct procedure, and that we never change a swing/strike call; even though we can change a non-swing call to a strike. If the PU sees enough of the swing to call a strike, so be it.
If the swing is at a bad angle or whatever and the PU does not see it well while concentrating on the ball; then changing to a strike makes sense. Usually, it is a high swing at a pitch not that high with PU in a squat.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

This is a very interesting thread. If I read the OP correctly, BOTH umpires agree that the batter DID NOT SWING at the pitch and that therefore the call of a swinging strike was wrong. Then BOTH AGREE that nothing should be done to correct the error. Everyone who has posted so far seems to agree that no change should be made. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong here?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prab View Post
This is a very interesting thread. If I read the OP correctly, BOTH umpires agree that the batter DID NOT SWING at the pitch and that therefore the call of a swinging strike was wrong. Then BOTH AGREE that nothing should be done to correct the error. Everyone who has posted so far seems to agree that no change should be made. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong here?
as said by TB:
if I am PU, I have to eat that call. Same as the call I have to eat if I ring up the batter on strikes with a pitch across the chin or shins.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 10:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Break out the Sriracha, the PU has a call to eat.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of the responses.

To provide some further information, this was a very experienced umpire that I was with who has worked some very high level ball. I have a great deal of respect for this umpire.

After the conversation with coach, when partner approached me, my first thought was "Why are you coming to me?" Knowing that PU knew better, I was very curious to see what PU had to say.

Bottom line...PU blew the call and knew it. Life and ball game goes on.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 02:13pm
wife loves the goatee...

Would any of you tell the coach that you knew you got it wrong but that there is no way to "un-ring that bell"?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
If I were Andy:

But would that actually stop him? Saying that out loud sounds like publicly rubbing it in to the PU that he made a bad call! He knows what he called it. Isn't there some more diplomatic way to put it, such as, "By rule your call of strike must stand."?

I'm assuming this was a crew of 2, therefore one of them would've been the umpire in chief. Does it matter which one of them is? In some sports it would, but I don't know if softball is one of those.

Did the PU start to move toward the BU before the coach objected, or after? If it was before, I don't see how it could look to the coach like an example of getting them to change a strike call.

As to the apparent misconduct by the coach, doesn't that just create a separate issue to deal with? Or does it somehow supersede the strike ruling?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2015, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

What about this response to the DEFENSIVE coach.

Coach, She didn't swing. I know it, you know it, we all know it. I simply had a brain cramp and came up with the "strike call."

I'm sorry, but it's a ball - Let's play......