The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Opinions requested (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99926-opinions-requested.html)

Andy Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21am

Opinions requested

Play: ASA rules. No runners on, 1 out. X -2 count on the RH batter. Pitch is not in the strike zone, batter moves bat off of her shoulder, but was not close to a swing. PU rings batter up saying she swung.

3rd base coach takes objection and want to discuss swinging third strike call with PU. PU comes to BU (me) and says, "she held up that swing, didn't she?" I tell PU that I did not have a swing. PU asks how we should handle it. My answer was that we eat the call and stay with the strike. My reasoning in that moment was that I don't want any coach thinking they can appeal a swinging strike called by the PU. I have had some other umpires I respect tell me we should have reversed the call since it was so obviously wrong.

Thoughts?

Rich Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:14pm

How does this conversation even happen? A coach left his position to argue balls and strikes -- is that acceptable in the fastpitch world?

(Seriously, I'm asking this as a baseball umpire who may end up working some softball eventually. In baseball, a PU's decision of a swinging strike is not appealable. That's what the PU *should've* said to the coach unless things are really different in fastpitch.)

Big Slick Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 964317)
How does this conversation even happen? A coach left his position to argue balls and strikes -- is that acceptable in the fastpitch world?

The conversation should not have happened, but not for that reason. This is the reason:
(btw, he didn't "argue balls and strikes," he asked about judgement on a swing)
Quote:

(Seriously, I'm asking this as a baseball umpire who may end up working some softball eventually. In baseball, a PU's decision of a swinging strike is not appealable. That's what the PU *should've* said to the coach unless things are really different in fastpitch.)
PU should have said: "Coach, I have it as a swing, it is a swing." Case closed. Asking your partner's opinion is for after the game.

If I were Andy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 964316)
PU comes to BU (me) ...

I'm stopping PU before he gets there with the phrase: "you called it a strike." Quite possibly an emphatic point.

I can understand why Andy may have had a full conversation, as he might be training newer umpires. If my partner is a newer guy, I'm saying the same, but maybe not so overtly (or where other can hear). Then we have a good post-game.

chuck chopper Mon Jun 29, 2015 01:38pm

I would tell the Coach, if he had a beef with the PU's call- go talk to HIM.

teebob21 Mon Jun 29, 2015 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 964316)
Play: ASA rules. No runners on, 1 out. X -2 count on the RH batter. Pitch is not in the strike zone, batter moves bat off of her shoulder, but was not close to a swing. PU rings batter up saying she swung.

3rd base coach takes objection and want to discuss swinging third strike call with PU. PU comes to BU (me) and says, "she held up that swing, didn't she?" I tell PU that I did not have a swing. PU asks how we should handle it. My answer was that we eat the call and stay with the strike. My reasoning in that moment was that I don't want any coach thinking they can appeal a swinging strike called by the PU. I have had some other umpires I respect tell me we should have reversed the call since it was so obviously wrong.

Thoughts?

Ouch, but if I am PU, I have to eat that call. Same as the call I have to eat if I ring up the batter on strikes with a pitch across the chin or shins.
Also, I've made this call. I ate it. It did not taste good, but I learned when in doubt on a short swing that fools me, ball the pitch and go for help. Sometimes even before the catcher can ask. I don't know if this is an approved mechanic in any code I work, but I've never yet had a problem with it.

Rich Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 964319)
The conversation should not have happened, but not for that reason. This is the reason:
(btw, he didn't "argue balls and strikes," he asked about judgement on a swing)

PU should have said: "Coach, I have it as a swing, it is a swing." Case closed. Asking your partner's opinion is for after the game.

If I were Andy:

I'm stopping PU before he gets there with the phrase: "you called it a strike." Quite possibly an emphatic point.

I can understand why Andy may have had a full conversation, as he might be training newer umpires. If my partner is a newer guy, I'm saying the same, but maybe not so overtly (or where other can hear). Then we have a good post-game.

That's arguing balls and strikes in the baseball world.

tcannizzo Tue Jun 30, 2015 06:33am

You can't un-ring a swing.

CecilOne Tue Jun 30, 2015 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 964336)
when in doubt on a short swing that fools me, ball the pitch and go for help. Sometimes even before the catcher can ask. I don't know if this is an approved mechanic in any code I work, but I've never yet had a problem with it.

AFAIK, that is the correct procedure, and that we never change a swing/strike call; even though we can change a non-swing call to a strike. If the PU sees enough of the swing to call a strike, so be it.
If the swing is at a bad angle or whatever and the PU does not see it well while concentrating on the ball; then changing to a strike makes sense. Usually, it is a high swing at a pitch not that high with PU in a squat.

prab Tue Jun 30, 2015 07:48am

This is a very interesting thread. If I read the OP correctly, BOTH umpires agree that the batter DID NOT SWING at the pitch and that therefore the call of a swinging strike was wrong. Then BOTH AGREE that nothing should be done to correct the error. Everyone who has posted so far seems to agree that no change should be made. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong here?

CecilOne Tue Jun 30, 2015 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by prab (Post 964348)
This is a very interesting thread. If I read the OP correctly, BOTH umpires agree that the batter DID NOT SWING at the pitch and that therefore the call of a swinging strike was wrong. Then BOTH AGREE that nothing should be done to correct the error. Everyone who has posted so far seems to agree that no change should be made. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong here?

as said by TB:
if I am PU, I have to eat that call. Same as the call I have to eat if I ring up the batter on strikes with a pitch across the chin or shins.

Welpe Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32am

Break out the Sriracha, the PU has a call to eat.

Andy Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:20am

Thanks for all of the responses.

To provide some further information, this was a very experienced umpire that I was with who has worked some very high level ball. I have a great deal of respect for this umpire.

After the conversation with coach, when partner approached me, my first thought was "Why are you coming to me?" Knowing that PU knew better, I was very curious to see what PU had to say.

Bottom line...PU blew the call and knew it. Life and ball game goes on.

DRJ1960 Tue Jun 30, 2015 02:13pm

Would any of you tell the coach that you knew you got it wrong but that there is no way to "un-ring that bell"?

Robert Goodman Tue Jun 30, 2015 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 964319)
If I were Andy:

But would that actually stop him? Saying that out loud sounds like publicly rubbing it in to the PU that he made a bad call! He knows what he called it. Isn't there some more diplomatic way to put it, such as, "By rule your call of strike must stand."?

I'm assuming this was a crew of 2, therefore one of them would've been the umpire in chief. Does it matter which one of them is? In some sports it would, but I don't know if softball is one of those.

Did the PU start to move toward the BU before the coach objected, or after? If it was before, I don't see how it could look to the coach like an example of getting them to change a strike call.

As to the apparent misconduct by the coach, doesn't that just create a separate issue to deal with? Or does it somehow supersede the strike ruling?

robbie Tue Jun 30, 2015 03:13pm

What about this response to the DEFENSIVE coach.

Coach, She didn't swing. I know it, you know it, we all know it. I simply had a brain cramp and came up with the "strike call."

I'm sorry, but it's a ball - Let's play......