The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 28, 2015, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Coach takes defensive time out without permission!

Had this yesterday in a very low level B tournament. Team on defense is behind and they are starting to grouse about it.....balls & strikes, close plays, etc. that don't go their way and of course the "snowballing" effect is now in action. More gripes beget more gripes. Things are borderline "a pain" right then but I want to get the game over cuz time's about to expire and other team still needs to bat. I've explained some calls and given no explanation on calls because they were judgment.

First base coach, impacted by the "snowalling effect" and because they are behind (they don't gripe when they are winning) between pitches calls the catcher over for a "defensive conference" without asking for time. I'm trying to tell catcher to come back but she's bound she's gonna do what coach asks. I'm walking over to squelch discussion but it ends and catcher returns. I tell coach, he's got to ask for time out and not to do that again please. He tells me "Whatever!" and turns away. Total disrespect I felt but I let it slide. Never should have but I did.

Now, if that were to happen again, what is the "consequence" that should be administered? This is after the coaches and fans have injected themselves into the game and the calls and have been told basically too "cease and desist" with their behavior.

Is this an unsportsmanlike behavior that's ejectable? I can't apply the method of "batter stepping out without timeout" and pitcher pitching and getting a called strike method. What's my recourse?

Gawd, this stuff never happens to me. I'm way too good for this.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2015, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Charge them with a defensive conference, and if by chance it happened to exceed their limit, tell the coach he now needs to change pitchers.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2015, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Why is the first base coach (whose team is on offense) call a defensive conference with the catcher (who is on the other team)?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Why is the first base coach (whose team is on offense) call a defensive conference with the catcher (who is on the other team)?
I thought the 1B coach was in the dugout and the OP just identified him as such; not that he was coaching at 1st.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I would not tell the catcher to come back, I would ask the coach if he wanted a defensive conference. If he answers yes, fine. Record it and move on. If he say no, then get the catcher back and lets play ball.

If he ignores you or doesn't answer, inform him when he is done with the catcher that he has just used a conference.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, misspoke. It was offensive coach. Key here is "NO" permission was granted and, from my perspective, blatant disrespect because he didn't think he was getting calls in his favor so he was going to do what he wanted when he wanted no matter what.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
First base coach, impacted by the "snowalling effect" and because they are behind (they don't gripe when they are winning) between pitches calls the catcher over for a "defensive conference" without asking for time. I'm trying to tell catcher to come back but she's bound she's gonna do what coach asks. I'm walking over to squelch discussion but it ends and catcher returns. I tell coach, he's got to ask for time out and not to do that again please. He tells me "Whatever!" and turns away. Total disrespect I felt but I let it slide. Never should have but I did.

Now, if that were to happen again, what is the "consequence" that should be administered? This is after the coaches and fans have injected themselves into the game and the calls and have been told basically too "cease and desist" with their behavior.

Is this an unsportsmanlike behavior that's ejectable? I can't apply the method of "batter stepping out without timeout" and pitcher pitching and getting a called strike method. What's my recourse?

Gawd, this stuff never happens to me. I'm way too good for this.
Actually, the coach doesn't have to ask for anything. If there is no request, there is no need to offer it unless you feel it is necessary.

All you need to do is direct the batter and catcher back to the respective box and don't take too long getting to 20. If the coach then requests time, then it is up to you to give it to the defense.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2015, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Sorry, misspoke. It was offensive coach. Key here is "NO" permission was granted and, from my perspective, blatant disrespect because he didn't think he was getting calls in his favor so he was going to do what he wanted when he wanted no matter what.
I think you are compounding the confusion and not clarifying it: How does the offensive coach confer with a defensive player? Maybe just stick with "her coach" if that's what you mean.

Aside from that, don't let the score or time or home/visitor influence you in managing the game. Manage it correctly and with integrity regardless of such situations.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2015, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Aside from that, don't let the score or time or home/visitor influence you in managing the game. Manage it correctly and with integrity regardless of such situations.
Yep.