The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Coaches questioning calls

Have you ever just said, "Are you kidding me, coach?"
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,340
Its the "get the call right" mantra. Excuse to come out and question every close play, and even not so close plays.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 30, 2015, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 388
I had a coach come up behind me after the third out and ask how I could make that call? I wanted to raise my right hand to signal an out and say "like this Coach". But common sense took over and I didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 414
Oh, yes.. Now when I start raising my voice- I just take a deep breath & remind myself to communicate, not confront.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Often thought, never said aloud:

Coach, you are closer to being ejected than that play was
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I had a coach come up behind me after the third out and ask how I could make that call? I wanted to raise my right hand to signal an out and say "like this Coach". But common sense took over and I didn't.
A few years ago, on a balmy spring night, I was working a HS game as PU where I had to rotate up to third to make the call. On a close play, we had and I sold the out. There had been a dad in the stands all evening espousing to anyone who would listen to him his umpire expertise. While I was over getting a drink of water, he was telling his neighbors how that wasn't even my call to make. Then, showing what a big man he was, he yelled out to me, "that wasn't even your call. How could you make that call." My back was to him at this point, and without even taking the water bottle from my mouth, I took off my glasses and held them up for him to see. His audience cracked up. I, and more importantly those around him, never heard another word about his umpiring skills the rest of the evening.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 08:56am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
A few years ago, on a balmy spring night, I was working a HS game as PU where I had to rotate up to third to make the call. On a close play, we had and I sold the out. There had been a dad in the stands all evening espousing to anyone who would listen to him his umpire expertise. While I was over getting a drink of water, he was telling his neighbors how that wasn't even my call to make. Then, showing what a big man he was, he yelled out to me, "that wasn't even your call. How could you make that call." My back was to him at this point, and without even taking the water bottle from my mouth, I took off my glasses and held them up for him to see. His audience cracked up. I, and more importantly those around him, never heard another word about his umpiring skills the rest of the evening.
That was funny, but in my neck, something like that could lead to an unwanted visit in the parking lot after the game. I just do what my Dad told me many years ago: Ignore the Ignorant.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Have you ever just said, "Are you kidding me, coach?"
Sort of... Saturday Freshman game w/ varsity coach filling in for freshman coach. In a rundown between 3rd and home, her F5 threw a ball that hit the runner in the helmet and bounded away as the runner scored.

She came out to ask me if the runner was in the running lane when she was hit with the ball.

I asked if I had missed a rule change that may have just come out about having a running lane on 3rd base line.

She paused, said "I was never here", turned and went back to her dugout without another word.
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 3 hrs east of the western time zone
Posts: 875
We have some funny responses to this issue but on a serious note, I think the problem occurring is that there are too many situations where coaches are asking the base umpire to " get help". If your in the right spot mechanically on the field, tell the coach that and stick to your call. No help necessary. The only thing we are doing is changing the person who we will be having a debate over the play with and now we are going to have the other coach come out on close plays the rest of the game trying to get us to change a call

On a side note, I made a call at the plate in a baseball game and the 3rd base coach asked me to get help from my partner. Conversation lasted thirty seconds. He didn't ask another question the rest of the day.....
__________________
Go ugly early, avoid the rush !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 11:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Have you ever just said, "Are you kidding me, coach?"
We had a local umpire respond to a coach's question with this statement:

What?!? Are you f'ing stupid or something??

This was during a JO fast pitch game and was said loudly enough for several players and fans to hear.

This umpire was suspended for awhile and to the best of my knowledge, still thinks he did nothing wrong.....
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We had a local umpire respond to a coach's question with this statement:

What?!? Are you f'ing stupid or something??

This was during a JO fast pitch game and was said loudly enough for several players and fans to hear.

This umpire was suspended for awhile and to the best of my knowledge, still thinks he did nothing wrong.....
Was the statement accurate?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
We have some funny responses to this issue but on a serious note, I think the problem occurring is that there are too many situations where coaches are asking the base umpire to " get help". If your in the right spot mechanically on the field, tell the coach that and stick to your call. No help necessary. The only thing we are doing is changing the person who we will be having a debate over the play with and now we are going to have the other coach come out on close plays the rest of the game trying to get us to change a call

On a side note, I made a call at the plate in a baseball game and the 3rd base coach asked me to get help from my partner. Conversation lasted thirty seconds. He didn't ask another question the rest of the day.....
AF Championship - 3 umpire crew, I'm on 3rd

Line drive through the 3-4 hole rolling to RC field. We rotate properly and I'm lined up with the throw coming from RC, maybe a foot or two toward the 1b side of 2nd, 8-10 feet from the play. Runner executed a perfect pop-up slide with F6 making a late tag on his thigh. Everyone did everything right, textbook mechanics and call. Pitcher who is standing behind me immediately says, "can you ask for some help". I look over my shoulder and see U1 at the plate and the PU in holding zone toward 3B, so I look at the pitcher (Navy) and say something along the lines of "Really? Are you ****ing serious?" He just laughed and said, "well, I gotta try".

I should note that this was my 3rd AFC, so there was some familiarity with the players and coaches.

But seriously, you are correct. If you are satisfied that you had a clear view of all the aspects of the play and call, no need to go for help.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Myers FL
Posts: 600
I think we have all had times where we thought of a snappy response, but fortunately kept quiet. One time I was calling a high school baseball game in a very small central school in the sticks. On a close play, fan yelled out "that was a bush league call." I just spread my hands out and looked at the surrounding countryside and smiled. I think the fans got the message.
__________________
Keep everything in front of you
and have fun out there !!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Often thought, never said aloud:

Coach, you are closer to being ejected than that play was
Glad we don't have the balloons that pop up over our heads with what we're thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 648
Rundown between 3B & home, runner dives back to 3B, fielder dives too, I'm at a perfect 90 degree angle to see a constant 2-3" of daylight between glove and foot.
DC, absolutely convinced of a tag (in the 1B dugout, so she's watching from 3B line extended), comes out begging me to ask for help (from my partner, also behind the play).

"Coach, I'll ask, but there's nothing he can tell me that'll convince me I didn't see daylight the entire time."

I guess the only bad part was when partner showed up uninvited to the conversation & said "I had no tag either"...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questioning Partner's Call Afrosheen Basketball 145 Mon Oct 28, 2013 07:18pm
Coaches questioning table crew chseagle Basketball 34 Tue Jan 05, 2010 08:15am
Questioning my T fiasco Basketball 115 Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:31am
Questioning my call Beemer Basketball 10 Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04pm
Explaining non calls out of your primary to coaches. ILRef80 Basketball 42 Sat Jan 12, 2008 03:16pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1