View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 08:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
A few years ago, on a balmy spring night, I was working a HS game as PU where I had to rotate up to third to make the call. On a close play, we had and I sold the out. There had been a dad in the stands all evening espousing to anyone who would listen to him his umpire expertise. While I was over getting a drink of water, he was telling his neighbors how that wasn't even my call to make. Then, showing what a big man he was, he yelled out to me, "that wasn't even your call. How could you make that call." My back was to him at this point, and without even taking the water bottle from my mouth, I took off my glasses and held them up for him to see. His audience cracked up. I, and more importantly those around him, never heard another word about his umpiring skills the rest of the evening.
That was funny, but in my neck, something like that could lead to an unwanted visit in the parking lot after the game. I just do what my Dad told me many years ago: Ignore the Ignorant.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker