View Single Post
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I had a coach come up behind me after the third out and ask how I could make that call? I wanted to raise my right hand to signal an out and say "like this Coach". But common sense took over and I didn't.
A few years ago, on a balmy spring night, I was working a HS game as PU where I had to rotate up to third to make the call. On a close play, we had and I sold the out. There had been a dad in the stands all evening espousing to anyone who would listen to him his umpire expertise. While I was over getting a drink of water, he was telling his neighbors how that wasn't even my call to make. Then, showing what a big man he was, he yelled out to me, "that wasn't even your call. How could you make that call." My back was to him at this point, and without even taking the water bottle from my mouth, I took off my glasses and held them up for him to see. His audience cracked up. I, and more importantly those around him, never heard another word about his umpiring skills the rest of the evening.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.