The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
I was just trying to fully understand, not questioning you. I somewhat remember a softball game where a player hit a home run but was injured before rounding the bases. Defenders carried her around. I wasn't sure if this, like that one, was within the rules or not. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, that happened (twice, actually)... but we all noted here that while it was great sportsmanship, it was actually not even necessary for the defense to do it. Offense could have done it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I believe in baseball, the rule on physical assistance is not limited to live ball play. Since the FED rule doesn't specifically state it, it could be considered the same.
Not by me. Or my bosses. Or the state clinician when this got argued about 3 seasons ago.

But feel free to incorporate baseball rules whenever you want.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
yeah, good idea!
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 09:18am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Not by me. Or my bosses. Or the state clinician when this got argued about 3 seasons ago.

Oh hell no, I would never do that.

Still, I wonder why FED decided to leave out the reference in the rule to the ball being live for teammate assistance to apply. ASA and NCAA specifically mention it, but not FED. Oversight? Intentional? I don't have a clue.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Oh hell no, I would never do that.

Still, I wonder why FED decided to leave out the reference in the rule to the ball being live for teammate assistance to apply. ASA and NCAA specifically mention it, but not FED. Oversight? Intentional? I don't have a clue.
I hope you don't stay awake at night looking for or hoping for consistency between rule books; let alone wondering why a rule writer would not consult another book to make a change worded the same.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
I was just trying to fully understand, not questioning you. I somewhat remember a softball game where a player hit a home run but was injured before rounding the bases. Defenders carried her around. I wasn't sure if this, like that one, was within the rules or not. Thanks for clarifying.
That was a cool sportsmanship story ... but the umpires kicked the call.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 05:15am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I hope you don't stay awake at night looking for or hoping for consistency between rule books; let alone wondering why a rule writer would not consult another book to make a change worded the same.
No, I don't let it bother me. I've been doing this long enough to know that inconsistencies in the rules exist, and no matter how much we complain about them, nothing gets done.

There are people here who have long histories with rule changes and interpretations, some having personal relationships with national-level staff that have something to do with these rulings. And I was just curious if there was anything more to it with the FED rule than just mere oversight.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
That was a cool sportsmanship story ... but the umpires kicked the call.
No, they didn't. If there was a call to make, it would be obstruction, which would be nullified when the runner reached (surpassed) the awarded base).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, they didn't. If there was a call to make, it would be obstruction, which would be nullified when the runner reached (surpassed) the awarded base).
Either you missed Larry's point, or forgot the whole story.

The umpires in the first case told the OC that the injured runner was required to touch all the bases, or the runner would be out. That is where they kicked the call; NCAA 8.5.3.2 allows the substitute for an injured player to touch awarded bases.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
How is the situation different? If the runner never touched home plate and was standing short of the plate in the right handed batters box would not b3 have to pass them before touching the plate? The instant b3 passed the runner they would be out so how could a succeeding runner have scored?
I guess it depends on how you read the situation. When I first read it, joining the crowd to me meant that she had passed the plate, which by rule, means she has "scored" absent the appeal for missing the base.

The way I think you are thinking of it, the runner has not yet passed the plate when she joins the crowd. As such, she is still a runner and could be passed, resulting in an out.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, no out. B3 hits over-the-fence home run. R1 touches home as team comes out to celebrate at home plate. R2 rounds 3B, approaches home but joins the crowd in the 3B side batters box never crossing home. B3 comes around and touches home. R1 realizes that R2 never touched home and pushes R2 to home plate.

Now what?
Ok, here is a question based on this thread.

Same situation. a) R2 joins the celebration before passing home plate or b) after R2 passes home plate. B3 then touches home plate. The offense goes back into the dugout and then the defensive coach appeals that R2 did not touch home plate. How many outs do we have and how many runs score?

In a) we should have 2 outs. B3 is out for passing R2, and R2 would then be out on appeal for the missed base. 1 run, R1 scores on the play. In b) we have 1 out (R2 for the missed base) and 2 runs score (R1 and B3). Am I correct in this ruling?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
They kicked it when the offense asked if they were allowed to help or replace the batter who tore up her knee. They said "no way."
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
They kicked it when the offense asked if they were allowed to help or replace the batter who tore up her knee. They said "no way."
Fair enough - my mistake. I was unaware of that part of the story.

West Houston Mike