The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Adventures in rec league

First some backstory, calling this league unorganized is like calling my Urban Development Economics class boring, it doesn't even begin to describe the situation. I worked the league since I started umpiring 6 years ago and they have switched rule sets 3 times (ASA, NSA, and now USSSA). The most experienced umpire after me has has worked 2 years. I was supposed to take the UIC position (unbeknown to me) but have obtained a "real" job (working more hours for half the pay, I'm thrilled) and taking summer classes and cannot work games through the week. They asked if I had some free time this weekend if I could come and work with the young guys on positioning on the field and talk to the coaches about rule changes this year...

It took 45 minutes, 2 volunteers, and countless questions to explain the look back rule. It took another 30 minutes to explain that an Infield Fly that rolls untouched between home and third or home and first is a foul ball and the batter gets to bat again. Don't even ask about obstruction/interference. A one hour meeting took 3 and a half, I'm glad I'm not working there this year! However, I am worried about the 8-10 young guys that will be. Do I hold another clinic for them? If I do what do I talk about? Should I take the UIC position knowing that most arguments through the week will go unsettled (the president of the league has a good grasp on the rules, but he also has a team so most of his opinions on the rules go unheard)? Most of the weekends I have tourneys to work so I won't be able to be there on weekends either. Do I simply wash my hands of the league? Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans2545 View Post
First some backstory, calling this league unorganized is like calling my Urban Development Economics class boring, it doesn't even begin to describe the situation. I worked the league since I started umpiring 6 years ago and they have switched rule sets 3 times (ASA, NSA, and now USSSA). The most experienced umpire after me has has worked 2 years. I was supposed to take the UIC position (unbeknown to me) but have obtained a "real" job (working more hours for half the pay, I'm thrilled) and taking summer classes and cannot work games through the week. They asked if I had some free time this weekend if I could come and work with the young guys on positioning on the field and talk to the coaches about rule changes this year...

It took 45 minutes, 2 volunteers, and countless questions to explain the look back rule. It took another 30 minutes to explain that an Infield Fly that rolls untouched between home and third or home and first is a foul ball and the batter gets to bat again. Don't even ask about obstruction/interference. A one hour meeting took 3 and a half, I'm glad I'm not working there this year! However, I am worried about the 8-10 young guys that will be. Do I hold another clinic for them? If I do what do I talk about? Should I take the UIC position knowing that most arguments through the week will go unsettled (the president of the league has a good grasp on the rules, but he also has a team so most of his opinions on the rules go unheard)? Most of the weekends I have tourneys to work so I won't be able to be there on weekends either. Do I simply wash my hands of the league? Any suggestions will be appreciated!
If you have any doubts, then just say, "No thank you." to umpire-in-chief.
But since it sounds like you are interested, make yourself available in some informal position.