The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
... snip ... Sadly, in some areas if you were to eject every player who said something like that on a first offense you wouldn't be umpiring because you would not have any players to umpire.

I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.
Maybe they are not getting games because they did and you did not.

And I agree with Tom, avoiding hassle is our job.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I did issue a warning last year after a catcher yelled to her pitcher "That's a bullshit call" about a pitch I called out of the zone. That one went through the coach immediately, with the catcher right there.
The only conversation I'm having with the coach after this is to find out who the substitute is for the catcher I've just ejected.....
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Maybe they are not getting games because they did and you did not. That's exactly it. They are not getting the games because they ejected the player and now the school has chosen to block them.

And I agree with Tom, avoiding hassle is our job.
In some of the schools in the area I am talking about sportsmanship is pretty much non-existent. This is an area that during basketball threats were common against opposing players during and after basketball games.

The problem is that many of the AD's in the area still schedule their own umpires and don't use an assignor, so there is nobody to back up the umpires. The state association really doesn't do much even if there are reports filed by umpires.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Jr College Game, NCAA rules.

I am BU. Team A pitcher really likes to work the edges of the zone. Catcher is frustrated from time to time with my PU partner's zone and not getting strikes called when she thinks they should be.

Finally, about the fifth inning, a pitch comes in that is just off the plate and called a ball. Catcher holds the ball out where she caught it, and asks my partner "Where did that miss?" with attitude. Partner tells her it was out of the zone and to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Catcher turns to someone behind the backstop and says "He said it was outside"

Partner pulls the mask off and tells the catcher that he is sick of the attitude and that if she wants to stay in the game, she will refrain from any further comments.

Question: For those of you that work NCAA level ball, would you have handled this the same way or would you have addressed this with the coach?
NCAA provides us three options in this sitch...
13.1.1-Informal warning
13.1.2-Formal warning
13.2.1-Ejection

If it were me, as described, I'm going with 13.1.2, which after I've told F2 she's been issued a warning, the reporting and recording of the warning has me talking to her HC.

I would not have dealt with it the way your partner did....JMO.

Last edited by KJUmp; Thu May 08, 2014 at 09:39am.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's exactly it. They are not getting the games because they ejected the player and now the school has chosen to block them. ...In some of the schools in the area I am talking about sportsmanship is pretty much non-existent. ......
As I said above. If I was in this situation, the schools would not be the ones doing the refusing / blocking. There is no way I would accept such an assignment even if offered.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Maybe they are not getting games because they did and you did not.
My point was consistency. If all the umpires ejected or warned or whatever, consistently with each other, then the game schedules also would even out.

That said, I would not have ejected the coach in a couple situations where I saw partners do so.