The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Dealing With Coaches

Ok, I know once you get established in an area, Coaches get to Know, Like, and Trust you. Unfortunately, Because of my Job, I just relocated....been officiating for 12 years and work some lower level college. I believe no matter how long you've been working, Most can improve the communication with coaches. Here is my scenerio.....If you have a game in which you are calling a good game but the coach wants to discuss or complain about ever call that went the other way......When do you say Enough! I know the book answer is....When the coach starts to effect your concentration but I want to know your views on how to deal with a coach that complains on every call. When do you address it and How do you address it. Thanks for your responses.....freddie_g2001
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Honestly, as soon as you realize it's going to be a pattern, address it. You can usually tell pretty quickly, within the first couple of minutes.

You'll have to find your own words, but something to the effect of, "Coach, if you have a specific question, I'll answer it; but I can't have you complaining about every call."
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Snaqs, I used almost exactly the same language last night to a new coach who is a very young and very inexperienced head coach. It was early, about the sixth or seventh trip down the floor, I was working T right in front of the bench. I caught a dead ball (out of bounds and we had a llittle break while one of the players went to retrieve it) and moved over right beside her and told her that in a very conversational, even tone. Didn't have any issues after that.

I think you have quoted this on this site several times in the past, and it just hit me last night to give it a try. So I guess I'm saying thanks for the assist!
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 11:33am
In Memoriam

Every official sets their own limits as to how much crap they're going to take. That's just the way it is and it ain't going to change. And what works for me might not work for you either. Just be consistent at both ends from start to finish with the players/coaches. They will adjust to you, but they have to know where they stand.

Set the bar and don't move it. And for Dexter's sake, if you are going to warn somebody, carry through with that warning if they fail to heed it.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 12:38pm
Esteemed Participant

My "line in the sand" is when the Coach start to have an effect on my concentration. When my attention has to be on the Coach rather than on the action on the court, I will address it. And I usually say something to the effect of "Coach, I can't listen to you and concentrate on the players at the same time." They usually get it...usually.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have told coaches that they need to pick their spots if they are going to complain, because every call cannot possibly be totally wrong. Now they either take heed or they get a T for their behavior. Dealing with coaches is an art, not a science. And just because you know a coach really well does not mean they will not complain or go over the line. They might just know when enough is enough with you specifically, but I have had coaches I know very well act out more than those I do not know.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication With Coaches ...

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”
"Coach, I can't have you officiating this game."
"Coach, I understand you're not going to agree with all of our calls, but I can't have you question every
single one."
"Coach, if you have a question, I'll answer if I have a chance, but we aren't going to have these constant
comments."

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Original Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Fouls ...

Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a
technical foul.
When coaches complain, ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate
gripe, then allow them some latitude. Be courteous. Do not argue. Be firm and fair
If you know a coach is upset then move away from him or her, even if it means that you and your partner
are not switching or rotating properly.
Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a
warning.
Lend a reasonable ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are
more likely to lose control.
If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you
do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash.
Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top reasons to give a technical foul.
If necessary, give an initial strong warning. Let your partner know about the warning.

Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
There are many different factors to consider when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are
three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach draws attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.

Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiation:
Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
A coach questions your integrity.
Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
A coach is embarrassing an official.
A coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations, a warning may be appropriate
before the technical foul is given:
A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
If they have interfered with the game or your concentration, then they have usually gone too far.
If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Ways To Give A Technical Foul
Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other foul. It is simply a rule that requires
a penalty. Maintain a calm attitude, have poise and presence. Don’t personalize it. Don't embarrass the
coach by being demonstrative.
Take your time. Don’t over react. Always sound the whistle and stop the clock with a foul signal. Signal
the technical foul. Take a deep breath to calm yourself. Proceed to the reporting area, report the technical
foul clearly to the table, and leave the area. Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
Confer with your partner. If the technical foul is charged to the head coach or bench personnel, have your
partner inform the coach of the loss of the coaching box.
Explanations, it needed should be done by partner. When asked, always explain technical fouls on players
to coaches.

Proceed with the administration of the penalty. After technical fouls, put the ball in play immediately.
The calling official may want to stay away from the coach for a few minutes, even if it means not making
a switch, or making an unneeded switch, after the administration of the technical foul penalty has been
completed.
Because a coach has been penalized with a technical foul does not mean that the coach is allowed
rebuttal time.
Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second technical foul if it
is warranted.

Original Source: The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 08:05pm.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 07:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Top Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
Am I the only one who hates the name of this list? It comes across as "top ten excuses not to give..."
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 07:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Am I the only one who hates the name of this list?
I hate all lists like this for officials. Imo the concept is stoopid. Our job is to R-E-A-C-T! We don't have time to stop and mentally go over a pile of vague directions that may or may not even be applicable to the situation we're facing to decide which one might be best. And if anybody thinks that we do have the time to mentally go through all those reasons to give or not give a "T" before making a decision, well, they just ain't in touch with the realities of the job we have to do out there imo.

Paralysis through analysis!

OK for the classroom. Not so good out on the floor.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 08:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deer In The Headlights ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
OK for the classroom.
Which is exactly what it was designed for, rookie officials. freddie_g2001 doesn't need this list, he's been around the block several times, but others may.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 08:11pm.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 08:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Am I the only one who hates the name of this list?
Me too. I've kept "top" in because it was listed as such in the original source, The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association. I've never liked it. I'll get rid of "top", but still give credit to the guys in the City of Brotherly Love.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I hate all lists like this for officials. Imo the concept is stoopid. Our job is to R-E-A-C-T! We don't have time to stop and mentally go over a pile of vague directions that may or may not even be applicable to the situation we're facing to decide which one might be best. And if anybody thinks that we do have the time to mentally go through all those reasons to give or not give a "T" before making a decision, well, they just ain't in touch with the realities of the job we have to do out there imo.

Paralysis through analysis!

OK for the classroom. Not so good out on the floor.
Agreed. But it seems like a good reference. The sort of thing that when you have a "bad coach night" you might review to see if there is a tool or two there that might help next time, and make a mental note of it.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Bingo!

Quote:
Which is exactly what it was designed for, rookie officials.
I would hate to have a T situation in a game be the first time I had thought about where my line was.

Wait a minute, I think that is the way it happened. My face went flush, my temper rose and I thought about saying lots of cuss words. Fortunately I didn't. But if I had been more prepared, I may have been . . . more prepared.

Don't let JR 'bust your chops' about your lists without standing up for their usefulness. He's just a mean ol' grouch with lot of basketball rules knowledge and little tact. Rules Rulz, or something like that.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is exactly what it was designed for, rookie officials. freddie_g2001 doesn't need this list, he's been around the block several times, but others may.
I saw the "Communication with Coaches" list for the first time back in 2008 (my first year). The list helped develop my game management skills tremendously, and I'm sure helped me in keeping some coaches under control and in some instances enabled me to avoid having to whistle a T.
I still have the copy I printed out two years ago (along with JRut's pre-game discussion recap) and I re-read both of them before the start of the season.