The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Dealing with a Catcher

Jr College Game, NCAA rules.

I am BU. Team A pitcher really likes to work the edges of the zone. Catcher is frustrated from time to time with my PU partner's zone and not getting strikes called when she thinks they should be.

Finally, about the fifth inning, a pitch comes in that is just off the plate and called a ball. Catcher holds the ball out where she caught it, and asks my partner "Where did that miss?" with attitude. Partner tells her it was out of the zone and to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Catcher turns to someone behind the backstop and says "He said it was outside"

Partner pulls the mask off and tells the catcher that he is sick of the attitude and that if she wants to stay in the game, she will refrain from any further comments.

Question: For those of you that work NCAA level ball, would you have handled this the same way or would you have addressed this with the coach?

Would any of you handle this any different in HS or other youth ball play?
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

NCAA - the only thing he might have done differently is, instead of waiting until he had to blow up, simply tell the catcher quietly, while in position, that she needs to can the attitude and that her rope has been used up. But having not done that, addressing the catcher directly here is fine.

High school - ditto.

Youth ball - address MUCH earlier, and address via the coach.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
NCAA - the only thing he might have done differently is, instead of waiting until he had to blow up, simply tell the catcher quietly, while in position, that she needs to can the attitude and that her rope has been used up. But having not done that, addressing the catcher directly here is fine.

High school - ditto.

Youth ball - address MUCH earlier, and address via the coach.
I don't do college, so no comment on that, but with high school and any youth of high school age, I have no problem with (and have done in the past) giving a verbal warning to the catcher while in position. It has always worked the times I have done it.

If a catcher younger that HS age has an attitude, this is best dealt with by a coach (or parent).
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Also, make it easier by answering politely and respectfully the first time asked and make it clear the second time that it was the same reason and it will stay that way.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

He got it right, Andy....
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 01:57pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I'm sure someone here will say we should never talk to the players and go directly to the coach to deal with...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm sure someone here will say we should never talk to the players and go directly to the coach to deal with...
This is the point....When I presented this situation to a former official in the same conference that I talk to quite a bit, he said it should have been handled through the coach.

Youth or HS ball, I would be more likely to do that, college ball, I'm addressing it right then and there. If the coach wants to know what is going on, I will let him/her know as well.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This is the point....When I presented this situation to a former official in the same conference that I talk to quite a bit, he said it should have been handled through the coach.

Youth or HS ball, I would be more likely to do that, college ball, I'm addressing it right then and there. If the coach wants to know what is going on, I will let him/her know as well.
IMHO..you are on the right track. Especially since that team seems to have a few discipline issues this year....Shut it down right away
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Jr College Game, NCAA rules.

I am BU. Team A pitcher really likes to work the edges of the zone. Catcher is frustrated from time to time with my PU partner's zone and not getting strikes called when she thinks they should be.

Finally, about the fifth inning, a pitch comes in that is just off the plate and called a ball. Catcher holds the ball out where she caught it, and asks my partner "Where did that miss?" with attitude. Partner tells her it was out of the zone and to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Catcher turns to someone behind the backstop and says "He said it was outside"

Partner pulls the mask off and tells the catcher that he is sick of the attitude and that if she wants to stay in the game, she will refrain from any further comments.

Question: For those of you that work NCAA level ball, would you have handled this the same way or would you have addressed this with the coach?

Would any of you handle this any different in HS or other youth ball play?
I have had something similar this year. About the fifth time the catcher asked me where the ball was I flat out told her that it was out of the zone. Since this was still the first inning and she had used up 5 "asks", I wasn't going to listen anymore. She got the hint. She still complained in the dugout, but she knew not to do it in the catchers position. What made it worse later is the opposing pitchers balls were coming back over the corner and were called strikes. Her pitchers pitches were tailing away from the plate and thus were missing the inside corner.

I did issue a warning last year after a catcher yelled to her pitcher "That's a bullshit call" about a pitch I called out of the zone. That one went through the coach immediately, with the catcher right there.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"That's a bullshit call" about a pitch I called out of the zone.
A warning? A catcher yelling that should be an instant ejection.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
A warning? A catcher yelling that should be an instant ejection.
Why? In this case it really depends on the teams in question. Sadly, in some areas if you were to eject every player who said something like that on a first offense you wouldn't be umpiring because you would not have any players to umpire.

In theory you are correct. In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved. I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Why? because not only did a catcher yell across the field questioning your strike zone, she also used a profanity to do it.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Why? In this case it really depends on the teams in question. Sadly, in some areas if you were to eject every player who said something like that on a first offense you wouldn't be umpiring because you would not have any players to umpire.

In theory you are correct. In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved. I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.

Holy wow.....

ADULT ball...I MIGHT let that go with reminder...

ANY youth..federation...J.C..or NCAA..that's an ejection....
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?
Dear lord.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved.
That's my first, and highest, priority when umpiring... avoiding hassle.

Quote:
...I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.
If the schools around here placed sportsmanship and respect for officials at such an intolerable level, they would not be the ones doing the refusing.