The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dealing with a Catcher (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97865-dealing-catcher.html)

Andy Tue May 06, 2014 10:58am

Dealing with a Catcher

Jr College Game, NCAA rules.

I am BU. Team A pitcher really likes to work the edges of the zone. Catcher is frustrated from time to time with my PU partner's zone and not getting strikes called when she thinks they should be.

Finally, about the fifth inning, a pitch comes in that is just off the plate and called a ball. Catcher holds the ball out where she caught it, and asks my partner "Where did that miss?" with attitude. Partner tells her it was out of the zone and to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Catcher turns to someone behind the backstop and says "He said it was outside"

Partner pulls the mask off and tells the catcher that he is sick of the attitude and that if she wants to stay in the game, she will refrain from any further comments.

Question: For those of you that work NCAA level ball, would you have handled this the same way or would you have addressed this with the coach?

Would any of you handle this any different in HS or other youth ball play?

MD Longhorn Tue May 06, 2014 11:19am

NCAA - the only thing he might have done differently is, instead of waiting until he had to blow up, simply tell the catcher quietly, while in position, that she needs to can the attitude and that her rope has been used up. But having not done that, addressing the catcher directly here is fine.

High school - ditto.

Youth ball - address MUCH earlier, and address via the coach.

Dakota Tue May 06, 2014 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 933514)
NCAA - the only thing he might have done differently is, instead of waiting until he had to blow up, simply tell the catcher quietly, while in position, that she needs to can the attitude and that her rope has been used up. But having not done that, addressing the catcher directly here is fine.

High school - ditto.

Youth ball - address MUCH earlier, and address via the coach.

I don't do college, so no comment on that, but with high school and any youth of high school age, I have no problem with (and have done in the past) giving a verbal warning to the catcher while in position. It has always worked the times I have done it.

If a catcher younger that HS age has an attitude, this is best dealt with by a coach (or parent).

CecilOne Tue May 06, 2014 12:11pm

Also, make it easier by answering politely and respectfully the first time asked and make it clear the second time that it was the same reason and it will stay that way.

azbigdawg Tue May 06, 2014 12:24pm

He got it right, Andy....

Manny A Tue May 06, 2014 01:57pm

I'm sure someone here will say we should never talk to the players and go directly to the coach to deal with...

Andy Tue May 06, 2014 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 933526)
I'm sure someone here will say we should never talk to the players and go directly to the coach to deal with...

This is the point....When I presented this situation to a former official in the same conference that I talk to quite a bit, he said it should have been handled through the coach.

Youth or HS ball, I would be more likely to do that, college ball, I'm addressing it right then and there. If the coach wants to know what is going on, I will let him/her know as well.

azbigdawg Tue May 06, 2014 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 933529)
This is the point....When I presented this situation to a former official in the same conference that I talk to quite a bit, he said it should have been handled through the coach.

Youth or HS ball, I would be more likely to do that, college ball, I'm addressing it right then and there. If the coach wants to know what is going on, I will let him/her know as well.

IMHO..you are on the right track. Especially since that team seems to have a few discipline issues this year....Shut it down right away

chapmaja Tue May 06, 2014 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 933512)
Jr College Game, NCAA rules.

I am BU. Team A pitcher really likes to work the edges of the zone. Catcher is frustrated from time to time with my PU partner's zone and not getting strikes called when she thinks they should be.

Finally, about the fifth inning, a pitch comes in that is just off the plate and called a ball. Catcher holds the ball out where she caught it, and asks my partner "Where did that miss?" with attitude. Partner tells her it was out of the zone and to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Catcher turns to someone behind the backstop and says "He said it was outside"

Partner pulls the mask off and tells the catcher that he is sick of the attitude and that if she wants to stay in the game, she will refrain from any further comments.

Question: For those of you that work NCAA level ball, would you have handled this the same way or would you have addressed this with the coach?

Would any of you handle this any different in HS or other youth ball play?

I have had something similar this year. About the fifth time the catcher asked me where the ball was I flat out told her that it was out of the zone. Since this was still the first inning and she had used up 5 "asks", I wasn't going to listen anymore. She got the hint. She still complained in the dugout, but she knew not to do it in the catchers position. What made it worse later is the opposing pitchers balls were coming back over the corner and were called strikes. Her pitchers pitches were tailing away from the plate and thus were missing the inside corner.

I did issue a warning last year after a catcher yelled to her pitcher "That's a bullshit call" about a pitch I called out of the zone. That one went through the coach immediately, with the catcher right there.

RKBUmp Tue May 06, 2014 10:18pm

Quote:

"That's a bullshit call" about a pitch I called out of the zone.
A warning? A catcher yelling that should be an instant ejection.

chapmaja Tue May 06, 2014 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 933550)
A warning? A catcher yelling that should be an instant ejection.

Why? In this case it really depends on the teams in question. Sadly, in some areas if you were to eject every player who said something like that on a first offense you wouldn't be umpiring because you would not have any players to umpire.

In theory you are correct. In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved. I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.

RKBUmp Wed May 07, 2014 05:55am

Why? because not only did a catcher yell across the field questioning your strike zone, she also used a profanity to do it.

azbigdawg Wed May 07, 2014 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 933551)
Why? In this case it really depends on the teams in question. Sadly, in some areas if you were to eject every player who said something like that on a first offense you wouldn't be umpiring because you would not have any players to umpire.

In theory you are correct. In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved. I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.

Holy wow.....

ADULT ball...I MIGHT let that go with reminder...

ANY youth..federation...J.C..or NCAA..that's an ejection....

MD Longhorn Wed May 07, 2014 08:25am

Quote:

Why?

Dear lord.

Dakota Wed May 07, 2014 08:29am

Quote:

...In practice ejecting players and coaches for this like this is often much more of a hassle for all parties involved.

That's my first, and highest, priority when umpiring... avoiding hassle. :rolleyes:

Quote:

...I know some umpires who have ejected players for things like this, and for some reason you don't see them umpiring much if any. Why? The schools refuse to have them umpire for them. Without the schools allowing them to umpire, there are no games for them to umpire.

If the schools around here placed sportsmanship and respect for officials at such an intolerable level, they would not be the ones doing the refusing.