The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Dealing with Coaches

Hello to all out there. I believe that every good Official does a self evaluation on his/her strengths and weaknesses. I know my biggest weakness on the floor is dealing with Coaches. I have really worked very hard on trying to improve in this area, but I was hoping to get some good "One liners" in dealing with coaches. I realize that every official is different and things that work for one official may not work for others. If anyone has ever worked Junior College games at New Mexico JC, Coach Voit is very tough on Officials. He wants a call every time down the floor. Good thing is he doesn't discrimenate. I believe he tries to work every Official he's ever seen. Anyway, I was wondering how to deal with a guy like that. I will stand by for any tips or methods. Thanks in advance for your help. freddie_g2001.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

See the "responding to coach speak" (and similar) threads.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
See the "responding to coach speak" (and similar) threads.
Responding to Coach Speak

this one
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac has a document he posts occasionally on this topic.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Now that coach Voight knows that you are looking for comebacks to his statements, and now he has the links to those statements, and the bulk of your name freddie, you might need to start a new list of one-liners
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have been reading this forum and it helps me, as a coach, see the game the way an official does. I do have a question related to this topic, How should a coach handle a situation when an official makes a call and gives an explanation, but is wrong on the ruling? What is appropriate during the game? After the game? Should the official be made aware of the rule?

Curious to see what yall think.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 07:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmCold View Post
I have been reading this forum and it helps me, as a coach, see the game the way an official does. I do have a question related to this topic, How should a coach handle a situation when an official makes a call and gives an explanation, but is wrong on the ruling? What is appropriate during the game? After the game? Should the official be made aware of the rule?

This is going to largely depend on a few things. What level of ball is this? Are the officials assigned by an area "assigner"? Are they hired by the AD, rec director, etc.? If they're assigned, you're best bet is to contact their assigner after the game; probably through your AD if you're looking at a school sponsored league.

If it's a rec league, AAU league, YMCA league, etc., you're better off approaching the director afte the game.

If, and only if, you have a really good raport with the official, you might be able to challenge it during the game. I highly recommend against this, however.

If you have a decent raport with the official, you might be able to bring it up after the game; perhaps in the form of a friendly wager.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input snaqwells, since this is a school based ABA league I didn't want to push the issue hard, I did however want the call to be right the next time and unless the official is made aware of the rule, he could continue to make the same error. I have known him for several years and respect him, I will probably talk to him on a personal level sometime unless I don't get a chance to before he officiates another game of ours, then I will talk to him before the game. I tried to discuss it during the game but he didn't seem to eager to talk, so I just put it behind me for the remainder of the game.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 10:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There aren't a lot of good options for discussing rules during a game. If he's right or if he's wrong, you've got to go with it.
How he accepts your approach will depend on a few things, so I can't tell you how he'll take it. It's always (in my opinion) best to ask bring it up to him in a casual social setting, if you have the opportunity. Even before a game can sometimes be a poor way to start off a game.

I know what you're saying, though, in wanting the call to be right.

Can I ask what rule he got wrong?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Could we both look that up after the game? One of us in going to learn something."
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 10:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"Could we both look that up after the game? One of us in going to learn something."
You ever use this with a coach, Bob?
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

The official said an inbounding player cannot cross the plane of the base line or sidelines when inbounding the ball. From my results in looking up this rule, the inbounding player does not have plane restrictions, these restriction apply to the defense. He made this call four times, we were struggling with the press be applied by the defense and the official making the wrong call.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You ever use this with a coach, Bob?
I have said, "I'll look that up after the game." And, guess what? The coach has been right (this happened twice in my first year or so).
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The official said an inbounding player cannot cross the plane of the base line or sidelines when inbounding the ball. From my results in looking up this rule, the inbounding player does not have plane restrictions, these restriction apply to the defense. He made this call four times, we were struggling with the press be applied by the defense and the official making the wrong call.
Ouch. One thing you might be able to do, having a decent raport with the official, is a variation of Bob's latest post here. The big fat caveat, however, is that you'd have to do it quietly so only he hears you. Suggest he look it up after the game. If he gives a positive answer, that may be all you need to do.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Snaq: you've used it twice in this thread. The word is 'rapport'.