The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Went to watch tonight. Here are a few observations..

Out of the 142 teams in the tournament I have seen have not seen any really dominant teams all seem to be pretty equal on most part and have not seen that dominant pitcher yet that can mow everybody down. They must all be up in the Gold level of play

Have not seen an umpire yet address wearing of the uniform correctly. Every team I have seen has had several players with the shirts out. If we are not going to enforce it at NATIONALS why bother with it at local and regionals...

Then why should we enforce the girls to properly wear uniforms when I noticed at least 2 PU in the last games wearing base pants doing plate and 1 BU wearing plate pants
Also notice some umps using the blue ball bags and some wearing gray

Do like the Navy blue shirts with the gray pants. I believe it much better looking and professional looking then the powder blue with navy that they are using for the day games

Worst Call: caught 3rd strike foul tip. Umpire says it is just a foul ball batter still up with 2 strikes. Coach argues for a few seconds and gaves up.....

JMOs'

Don
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Have not seen an umpire yet address wearing of the uniform correctly. Every team I have seen has had several players with the shirts out. If we are not going to enforce it at NATIONALS why bother with it at local and regionals...
I hate being the fashion police. I understand the reason (at least for the batter), but, still, I don't like it. In Championship play, I enforce the rule, but not otherwise.

Quote:
Then why should we enforce the girls to properly wear uniforms when I noticed at least 2 PU in the last games wearing base pants doing plate and 1 BU wearing plate pants. Also notice some umps using the blue ball bags and some wearing gray
Nothing bugs me more than umpires out of uniform - and little things like a gray ball bag is being out of uniform. If you can't afford a new ball bag, don't do the game! As to the base/plate pants - do you know what the changing facilities were, and whether the umpires had time & privacy to change pants? Changing in front of fellow Blues (even mixed gender) is no big deal, but changing in view of fans & players is another matter.

Quote:
Worst Call: caught 3rd strike foul tip. Umpire says it is just a foul ball batter still up with 2 strikes. Coach argues for a few seconds and gaves up.....
Inexcusable anywhere - x10 at Nationals!
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Went to watch tonight. Here are a few observations..

Out of the 142 teams in the tournament I have seen have not seen any really dominant teams all seem to be pretty equal on most part and have not seen that dominant pitcher yet that can mow everybody down. They must all be up in the Gold level of play

Sorry, but no where does it say shirts must be tucked into the pants. And just because us older folks believe that to be the "proper" way to wear a uniform shirt, unlike a cap, you cannot show that is the manner in which the manufacturer meant it to be worn.
Quote:

Then why should we enforce the girls to properly wear uniforms when I noticed at least 2 PU in the last games wearing base pants doing plate and 1 BU wearing plate pants
Also notice some umps using the blue ball bags and some wearing gray

Do like the Navy blue shirts with the gray pants. I believe it much better looking and professional looking then the powder blue with navy that they are using for the day games
With the exception of fellow umpires, no on out there would even know the difference. Personally, I don't see the big deal. The ball bags are a different issue, however.

I have an umpire working this tournament, and the official uniform is powder over navy which is the uniform I prefer.

As far as the ball bags are concerned, I agree they should be standard with the uniform, but this may not be the umpire's fault. The book says the blue bag is the "official" bag, but this year, OKC stated that a grey bag was permissible with grey pants.
Quote:

Hope that wasn't my guy
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Went back again tonight

Saw the teams were wearing there uniforms "properly" tonight did not see any of hanging shirt tails

Umps were wearing powder blue with the gray slacks tonight the only thing noted was all the PU were using gray ball bags tonight. Looked much better with all the umps using the same color

Saw 1 dominant pitcher tonight her fast ball radaring 61mph
and good off speed hitting 49mph

Few disagreement tonight on judgement calls but overall look like a good night at the ballparks for the blues

JMOs

Don
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Went back again tonight

Quote:
Saw the teams were wearing there uniforms "properly" tonight did not see any of hanging shirt tails

Umps were wearing powder blue with the gray slacks tonight the only thing noted was all the PU were using gray ball bags tonight. Looked much better with all the umps using the same color

Saw 1 dominant pitcher tonight her fast ball radaring 61mph
and good off speed hitting 49mph

Few disagreement tonight on judgement calls but overall look like a good night at the ballparks for the blues

JMOs

Don
Talked to an umpire working this tournament. Told me the uniform is supposed to be powder over navy for day games, and navy over gray for night games. Ball bags are suppose to reflect the pants being worn.

Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Mike,

Just got a letter from Jim Craig. It says our specific uniform for the Mens B fast pitch will be Powder Blue over Gray pants. Ball Bags will be navy. We will work all three man games.

NIF
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Mike,

Just got a letter from Jim Craig. It says our specific uniform for the Mens B fast pitch will be Powder Blue over Gray pants. Ball Bags will be navy. We will work all three man games.

Now, to me, that combination is butt-ugly. However, I believe the next major change in uniforms may very well lead to this combination. And will lead to the embarassment for some umpires who sweat heavily.

JMHO,

Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Hope that wasn't my guy
Two guys from Phoenix are there also...I hope it was neither one of them!
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: Re: Went back again tonight

Quote:
Talked to an umpire working this tournament. Told me the uniform is supposed to be powder over navy for day games, and navy over gray for night games. Ball bags are suppose to reflect the pants being worn.
[/B]
Talk about unfair! It's expensive enough to have multiples of everything for long tournaments, let alone multiples of two completely different uniforms. Defeats the point of "uniform".

Quote:
Now, to me, that combination is butt-ugly. However, I believe the next major change in uniforms may very well lead to this combination. And will lead to the embarassment for some umpires who sweat heavily.
[/B]
Powder over gray might be the least attractive, but many people are hung up on it being the least heat retentive and it is the current NFHS "uniform", so it's available.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Went back again tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Powder over gray might be the least attractive, but many people are hung up on it being the least heat retentive and it is the current NFHS "uniform", so it's available.
Personally, I've worked hot and humid places in long blue pants, but usually wear shorts during the summer and I do not believe there is as much difference between the two. Remember, those who have been pushing for the grays are the same people who were also trying to shove the dark blue shirt down our throats. Since heat rises, doesn't one argument (dark shirts) make the other (light pants) inane?

If you want to stay cooler during the game, just stay off the dirt. I walk to the grass between every play and during any delays. The difference in the temperature is unbelievable when you don't have the reflection from the skinned infield hitting you.

I believe there are two things here.

1. Some umpires are basing their beliefs more on being cool than feeling cool. I'm getting real tired of hearing about how WUA umpires dress. For that matter, the more I see MLB umpires, the lousier I think they look.

2. Convenience for those who work baseball and NFHS. I don't give a damn about baseball, NCAA or NFHS. I work ASA, why should ASA make changes based on other organization's uniforms. And don't cry poor. If you are working those other games, you can certainly afford to purchase their uniforms.

Okay, guess I can step down off my soap-box now.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Aug 1st, 2003 at 11:49 AM]
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The "many people are hung up on it being the least heat retentive " comment did not include myself. Personally, I can live with most any uniform, but I am really tired not from different uniforms, but from every organization inventing a new uniform every other year as if they owned stock in the uniform companies.

To be much of an umpire and enjoy the benefits of a full schedule, I can't restrict myself to one organization.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool COOL huh

If any if you are interested in watching the tournament live go to the following website click on bullentin board then on the left side index video stream you must have media player 9 to play the stream

http://www.fastpitchsoftball.net/index.htm

Let me know if it doesnt work

Don
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Mike,

JMHO,

That's the uniform required locally for ASA ball. We don't use either of the navy blue garments, except at national tournaments. Personally, I don't care enough to want to buy more stuff. Powder blue / gray with a navy ball bag (or any other single combo) means I don't double my uniform expenses.

And, what's with the guys requiring the ball bag and the pants match? Some folks just get carried away with silly requirements that just make other people spend more money.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

My personal feelings on players/coaches uniforms:

Hats forward, shirt tails in. Nothing dangling. I was taught that proper is shirt tails in. If the umpire has to tuck in his/her shirt, so do the players.

Umpire uniforms at tournaments, especially Nationals:

Every UIC I ever had at a state, regional or National addressed the official uniform up front. The UIC at the Nationals ALWAYS looked at every piece I had included T shirts. There is NO excuse for umpires not being dressed alike. Each crew should check each other prior to games, we did. You get graded on appearance. I still think that powder blue over navy, with navy hats and navy ball bags looks the sharpest. I have always preferred the Elbeco shirt as I could get them heavy starched and military pressed before the Nationals. They looked good and lasted even in heat and humidity. I don't think grey pants are any cooler.
Any umpire that has a clue should be hydrating themselves days before any tournament and during the tournament. I can't believe that Garland doesn't have proper changing facilities for the umpires. Of course to me, nothing beats Lost Mountain here in Georgia where we have an air conditioned gym, conference rooms, and large bathrooms with showers! There's nothing like a shower and fresh clothes after a game! Then, hydrate and rest.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
I still think that powder blue over navy, with navy hats and navy ball bags looks the sharpest. I have always preferred the Elbeco shirt as I could get them heavy starched and military pressed before the Nationals. They looked good and lasted even in heat and humidity. I don't think grey pants are any cooler.
I was just watching "Fox Sports World Español". The have coverage of the Saltillo/Monterrey game on Béisbol Mexicano. The umpires are wearing navy shirts with black ball bags. There pants are white and are just to die for. But as fab as they look, I can't imagine how on earth they keep them cleaned and pressed.

And as for the sponsor logos on the back of the umpire's shirts... no muy bonito.