View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Went back again tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Powder over gray might be the least attractive, but many people are hung up on it being the least heat retentive and it is the current NFHS "uniform", so it's available.
Personally, I've worked hot and humid places in long blue pants, but usually wear shorts during the summer and I do not believe there is as much difference between the two. Remember, those who have been pushing for the grays are the same people who were also trying to shove the dark blue shirt down our throats. Since heat rises, doesn't one argument (dark shirts) make the other (light pants) inane?

If you want to stay cooler during the game, just stay off the dirt. I walk to the grass between every play and during any delays. The difference in the temperature is unbelievable when you don't have the reflection from the skinned infield hitting you.

I believe there are two things here.

1. Some umpires are basing their beliefs more on being cool than feeling cool. I'm getting real tired of hearing about how WUA umpires dress. For that matter, the more I see MLB umpires, the lousier I think they look.

2. Convenience for those who work baseball and NFHS. I don't give a damn about baseball, NCAA or NFHS. I work ASA, why should ASA make changes based on other organization's uniforms. And don't cry poor. If you are working those other games, you can certainly afford to purchase their uniforms.

Okay, guess I can step down off my soap-box now.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Aug 1st, 2003 at 11:49 AM]