View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 10:00am
Elaine "Lady Blue" Elaine
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

My personal feelings on players/coaches uniforms:

Hats forward, shirt tails in. Nothing dangling. I was taught that proper is shirt tails in. If the umpire has to tuck in his/her shirt, so do the players.

Umpire uniforms at tournaments, especially Nationals:

Every UIC I ever had at a state, regional or National addressed the official uniform up front. The UIC at the Nationals ALWAYS looked at every piece I had included T shirts. There is NO excuse for umpires not being dressed alike. Each crew should check each other prior to games, we did. You get graded on appearance. I still think that powder blue over navy, with navy hats and navy ball bags looks the sharpest. I have always preferred the Elbeco shirt as I could get them heavy starched and military pressed before the Nationals. They looked good and lasted even in heat and humidity. I don't think grey pants are any cooler.
Any umpire that has a clue should be hydrating themselves days before any tournament and during the tournament. I can't believe that Garland doesn't have proper changing facilities for the umpires. Of course to me, nothing beats Lost Mountain here in Georgia where we have an air conditioned gym, conference rooms, and large bathrooms with showers! There's nothing like a shower and fresh clothes after a game! Then, hydrate and rest.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995