The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Your other option, and it would be a lot of work, is to form your own officials association and directly compete with him.

If this guy is as much of a jerk and hardliner as you say, then it is likely he has pissed off other umpires and officials in the area that may be open to joining a new association.

We (umpires) always say that we are independent contractors and are free to work, or not work, for whoever we want. However, we often conveniently forget that the assignors are independent too and are free to hire, or not hire, whoever they want. Legal action would more than likely be pointless.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I can think of at this time is to start my own association from scratch perhaps with an already established national fast-pitch organization that is their competitor and begin selling the association to some existing leagues.

That's the only thing I can think of at this time.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Your other option, and it would be a lot of work, is to form your own officials association and directly compete with him.

If this guy is as much of a jerk and hardliner as you say, then it is likely he has pissed off other umpires and officials in the area that may be open to joining a new association.

We (umpires) always say that we are independent contractors and are free to work, or not work, for whoever we want. However, we often conveniently forget that the assignors are independent too and are free to hire, or not hire, whoever they want. Legal action would more than likely be pointless.
I was liked by these two guys from the start. I even had an assessor watch me and formally email these two guys saying I did a really good job for my third game in the NFHS season. That's what got the ball rolling shortly thereafter when summer ball started. I was on an email of a few rookie umps being asked to umpire the league in question.

There's no prior history with me. Those guys liked me...and I liked them too.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Do you suppose the association (not saying what that is) I'm currently registered with would be open to having two associations in the same area...somewhat competing against each other?

What about carving up the city into sections whereby I would do the assigning for some small area, while the existing group does the rest? You suppose that would fly?
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToReferee View Post
Do you suppose the association (not saying what that is) I'm currently registered with would be open to having two associations in the same area...somewhat competing against each other?

What about carving up the city into sections whereby I would do the assigning for some small area, while the existing group does the rest? You suppose that would fly?
Generally, it doesn't work that way.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Generally, it doesn't work that way.
...but has it ever been done before...and I don't necessarily mean in softball only?

I would think if they truly need volunteers at least the offer for man-power would be desirable. The key here is when they start to ask the question, "why I would want to do it?"

By the way, since we are on the subject of assigning games, are those volunteer positions or is there a little pay involved with that too?

Last edited by BornToReferee; Wed May 29, 2013 at 02:16pm.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...but has it ever been done before...and I don't necessarily mean in softball only?

I would think if they truly need volunteers at least the offer for man-power would be desirable. The key here is when they start to ask the question, "why I would want to do it?"
It doesn't work that way because you have the whole equation backward.

That said --- how do you really think it's going to look when you approach the higher ups, saying, "Hi ... I'm a rookie that the other assignor has blackballed. I have no experience whatsoever umpiring and I've been to exactly one clinic - that one held locally. I'm completely ill-equipped to hold any clinics of my own and won't be for several years. I know about 6 umpires each of whom I've worked with once. I'd like to start up a new association and schedule some of the local leagues." At what point do you think they stop listening or start laughing.

No offense... but take a step back and ask yourself honestly if this is a realistic proposal that anyone would take seriously.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Conceptually, there is nothing preventing you from establishing your own association or assigning group. If you had a stable of officials that would join you to get started, that could take some time. Certainly, getting any league or conference or AD to consider your new group for contests would be your biggest challenge without having significant exposure to those decision makers through previous contact or respected recommendations. Reputation plays a large role in the world of assigning and that respect is not just given out to the new option in town, it is earned from hard work, dedication, and skill sets that are obtained from years of working your craft.

I can assure you that running your own association, let alone being an assigner, is not as easy as you may think. Perhaps getting actively involved in the existing local association would bring more awareness if not valuable experience (or recognition) to you in a more positive manner.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:41pm
Stirrer of the Pot

You're willing to set up your own association, but you weren't willing to spend about two or three game fees to obtain the appropriate insurance coverage so you could work for the existing association?? Wow.

You're a rookie umpire by your own admission, and you've managed to alienate yourself from the president and assignor of the association, as well as probably gained a reputation from at the very least one coach (who may very well inform other coaches) that you won't live up to your assignments. Even our most senior umpires in my association wouldn't be looked at favorably for future games.

Honestly, if you really want to umpire softball, you may need to look into something outside of your town and start doing some serious driving. That, or just eat crow and apologize profusely to the association leadership.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 02:50pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
By the way, since we are on the subject of assigning games, are those volunteer positions or is there a little pay involved with that too?
In our area, assignors get paid. They have to; nobody would do what they do for free.

I have no idea how much they get, but the game fees that our association negotiates with the various schools, leagues, and other organizations we provide our services to are docked a certain percentage to pay the assignor. For example, we may sign a contract with the XYZ Softball League that says each umpire gets $60 a game. But the umpire actually gets $55, with $2.50 going to the association and the other $2.50 going to the assignor.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 03:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You're a rookie and your biggest concern is liability insurance?

Get an umbrella policy or join NASO.

BTW, If I was the assignor I would probably (immediately) recognize you as a pain in the ass and wouldn't use you either.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
You're willing to set up your own association, but you weren't willing to spend about two or three game fees to obtain the appropriate insurance coverage so you could work for the existing association?? Wow.

You're a rookie umpire by your own admission, and you've managed to alienate yourself from the president and assignor of the association, as well as probably gained a reputation from at the very least one coach (who may very well inform other coaches) that you won't live up to your assignments. Even our most senior umpires in my association wouldn't be looked at favorably for future games.

Honestly, if you really want to umpire softball, you may need to look into something outside of your town and start doing some serious driving. That, or just eat crow and apologize profusely to the association leadership.
The issue of other insurance wasn't know over that time span. I had to make a snap judgement call ...and the assigner was of no help.

There was no animosity in the days leading up to the games.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You're a rookie and your biggest concern is liability insurance?

Get an umbrella policy or join NASO.

BTW, If I was the assignor I would probably (immediately) recognize you as a pain in the ass and wouldn't use you either.
Nice comments. You are jumping to conclusions.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly I'm pissed.

You do one honest oversight and it's all over. It wasn't a blatant skipping out. I had reservations about the games all along. I had other work matters that apparently go me sidetracked. I followed up with both the coach and the assignor. I brought the matter to his attention immediately after refusing the games because I could not get the liability issue resolved in time.

How many other umpires has he placed in this unsanctioned league? He won't talk to me.

I'm not apologizing to the guy again, anymore than Sir William Wallace is going to apologize to Longshanks (Braveheart movie).

It's his job to stay on top of insurance issues and not pushing that matter of to the newcomer. If he's making the new guys doiing that important stuff, then what exactly do board members do that's different from the newcomers?

Again, one oversight and it's over. I busted him on something serious.
Ya know, this conversation, so far reminds me of some a conversation I was having with an umpire while we were resting between games.
We were talking about our kids and how we were brought up...
He said the best thing his dad ever asked hime was:

"Are you prepared to accept the consequenses for being right"
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It doesn't work that way because you have the whole equation backward.

That said --- how do you really think it's going to look when you approach the higher ups, saying, "Hi ... I'm a rookie that the other assignor has blackballed. I have no experience whatsoever umpiring and I've been to exactly one clinic - that one held locally. I'm completely ill-equipped to hold any clinics of my own and won't be for several years. I know about 6 umpires each of whom I've worked with once. I'd like to start up a new association and schedule some of the local leagues." At what point do you think they stop listening or start laughing.

No offense... but take a step back and ask yourself honestly if this is a realistic proposal that anyone would take seriously.
Not sure how to respond to this, if at all.

I'm highly educated. I got transferable skills and comparable experiences.