The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Maybe the questiion why are some leagues not like others. The other night I posted about what games I was having in this new leauge (that wraps up on tuesday :-( ) and the other league closer to me is like hell! Everygame I call is torture. I think after I finsih my summer league stint out that I will no longer call here because the commishoner has a chip on his shoulder. Last year I came in and they gave me a bunch of smaller kids games. Said I wasnt right for that age group so moved me up and let me call exclusive 10 and up age groups. But one game we had a porblem with one of the board members who is comepletey ignorant when it comes to rules. And i was right. He swore up and down I was wrong was holerin screaming . I gave him a T and all hell broke loose after that. Another game the commish (who was coaching) came out on the court at half-time and talked down to me. One more "screw-up" and i was gone. I said you can have my whistle and started to walk off. He said he wasnt done talking to me and i said ... Well COACH (yes i stressed coach) I'm done talking to you. and walked off. I've almost walked out of the gym on him several times because of issues.Seems like im the only one with the problem in this league. No one gives the other two refs in the leauge who know what they're doing a hard time. I'm sorry I dont use Over the back and reaching in when reporting, and I'm sorry i enforce the rules even though you say this is recreational basketball.. but dont keep calling me week after week then ***** at me after I ref agame. I had a problem last night with the fomroer commishoner. He told me "I wrote the ruels and your wrong!" I told him i've read the rule about the back court guariding issue sevearl times and he proceded to yell anout how i was worng. I finally gave him a t. At halftime he said he was sorry and i very sternly told the 41 year old man that he will not pull rank on me when he's a coach like that. Espcially when me and my partner (who is a varsity official of 10 years- over all 25 years) havnt had a chance to converse about the situation to correct it. Thanks for letting me vent. It feels so good to get out of my system sometimes. (FYI - i never get greif when i've got the partner i refered to just now or two other experinced guys - but if im on the floor with an official who doesnt know the rules or any mechnaics i get all kindsa flack) go figure.

Like I said, once I fulfil my summer leauge schedule to date I think im done in the leauge. I've got a Jr HIgh schedule waiting for me next year and a really good girls leauge to call in.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Venting = Good...

I have said many times before that there have been games where, had it been my first game, it would have been my last. However, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

When it comes to league play, I will work for some friends that call me for help from time to time, but as a rule, I don't work rec ball anymore for the reasons you mention.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Well at my young ripe age thats about all my options are until Jr High season starts. Oh how I wish I was 18 and reffing some AAU Tounrys. Theres two fairly large ones in Houtson twice a summer. :sigh: Alas. Summer is almost over.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
...Another game the commish (who was coaching) came out on the court at half-time and talked down to me. One more "screw-up" and i was gone. I said you can have my whistle and started to walk off. He said he wasnt done talking to me and i said ... Well COACH (yes i stressed coach) I'm done talking to you. and walked off.
Ace,

Walking off a court will not endear you to anyone. Don't burn any bridges. Not only is it not fair to your partner, but you are not living up to your obligation. You are exhibiting poor sportsmanship to everyone in the gym, the player and parents. Not only that, who knows who's sitting in that gym? Someone who could hire you further down the road? Not if you walk out at halftime. Get away from the situation and try to calm down. It's halftime, go to the restroom and relax for your 5 minutes. It'll give the coach/parent time to calm down as well. Also, think about what you say before you say it. I've regretted making comments in the heat of battle. Your problems are not unique. I don't work summer ball except for a very few prestigous well organized t-ments in the summer for that very reason. The less organized leagues usually have no consequences for inappropriate behavior. Combine that with the fact that some rec coaches don't really know the rules or the game and you have a potentially bad situation. Good luck.

Mregor
Old Sun Jul 20, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
...Another game the commish (who was coaching) came out on the court at half-time and talked down to me. One more "screw-up" and i was gone. I said you can have my whistle and started to walk off. He said he wasnt done talking to me and i said ... Well COACH (yes i stressed coach) I'm done talking to you. and walked off.
Ace,

Walking off a court will not endear you to anyone. Don't burn any bridges. Not only is it not fair to your partner, but you are not living up to your obligation. You are exhibiting poor sportsmanship to everyone in the gym, the player and parents. Not only that, who knows who's sitting in that gym? Someone who could hire you further down the road? Not if you walk out at halftime. Get away from the situation and try to calm down. It's halftime, go to the restroom and relax for your 5 minutes. It'll give the coach/parent time to calm down as well. Also, think about what you say before you say it. I've regretted making comments in the heat of battle. Your problems are not unique. I don't work summer ball except for a very few prestigous well organized t-ments in the summer for that very reason. The less organized leagues usually have no consequences for inappropriate behavior. Combine that with the fact that some rec coaches don't really know the rules or the game and you have a potentially bad situation. Good luck.

Mregor
I would tend to agree with Mregor in most cases, but I gotta admit, when it's the commish who is the coach that's being snotty, that's pretty tough to take!! I would think seriously about not working for him again! Sheez, I can't imagine...
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
A lot bigger men have swallowed a lot more crap then you. (Famous phrase I heard and like to use)
Chalk this up under living and learning. Smile, remain professional, keep your quips to yourself and the next time they ask you to work the league say "Thank you but no." From the anecdotale file, I just work a week of team camp where we worked everything from 3 person crews to 1 person crews. Then they messed us over on the pay side. Our supervisor marked the games down we worked and we were supposed to sign the score sheets after every game. The problem was not all courts had score sheets. The JV tournament was run using "1/2 Games" instead of "Full Games" When the paychecks were cut we were told that we would only be paid for the games we signed. (How do we know your worked those games) and that we would not be paid for the JV tournament since they weren't "Real" games. Eventually they decided to pay us 1/2 for the JV games. I was very polite, pointed out that SOMEONE had to do those games that were not signed and cashed my check moments after leaving they gym. They called and asked me to do something this weekend, and I turned them down.
What I would suggest, is invest your time and watch the AAU tournaments in your area. You say there are two big ones and they would be a tremendous opportunity to network and learn and probably a better use of your time.