The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I just want to know how many games on average people are umpiring. So far i've had 87+ games since May. (I got home from college mid season, so I missed 40 possible games.)

I usually ump from 15 - 20 games a week (5 on Sat and Sun and 2 during the week)
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Judging from your comments about college and your signature, I assume you are a younger umpire.

Many of us have discovered that there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to our performance and number of games in a week that we work. 15-20 games per week is beyond that point for, oh, about 99% of the umpire population.

While I will do a couple of tournaments a year that require four or five games per day, that is not the norm.

I will work about 120 games this year from mid march to the middle of September.

Ever hear the story of the old bull and the young bull?

They are standing on a hill overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and #^*& one of them sweet heifers."

The old bull replies, "No, let's walk down there and #^*& all of them."
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

haha,

a hit, a hit, a very palpable hit!
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Wolfie:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

There is no correlation between how many games an umpire works in one day and the quality of his work.

Tee
That's exactly correct from what I've seen in 25 years of calling.

When I was young I called no more than three games in a day and then only one plate.

Now that I am older, I will work no more than two games. IMO that is all I can do without affecting the level of concentration and umpiring.

I see a lot of guys who call four and five games because there is a need. That's fine, but I don't see many guys call five games very well in one day.

But, with the shortage of umpires that we have I understand.

The key is to always work with a veteran official (one that you respect) so you can always be improving (even on the fifth game of the day that you work!!)

If that's not possible, then don't work that many games.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Wolfie:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

There is no correlation between how many games an umpire works in one day and the quality of his work.
Tee, while I know of no study to rate the number of games in a day vs. quality of umpiring, I find it difficult to believe that the quality of the individual doesn't start to dissipate when exceeding two or perhaps three games a day, Still, I've seen some talented officials I'd rather assign a DH to knowing they already called two games elswhere that day versus taking certain other officials of less talent. That is, games 3 and 4 of the talented official will still be better than games 1 and 2 of a less talented offical.

I think heat also plays a factor. I've occasionally done 4 games a day in the spring and fall and not felt as rung out as times when I've done only two games in the Texas summer heat.

The level of play is also a consideration. Today I did 3 college wood bat games that all finished in about 1:30 to 1:45 game times allowing breaks of 45-60 minutes between games. That's much different than doing a 2-2:15 hr. game and immediately changing gear with little break in order to maintain start times of the following games.

Yet another factor might be whether that official has just completed 8 hrs. of his regular job before stepping onto the field. That's likely not much different than someone who was off for the day and just completed two games previously and is ready to do games 3 and 4.

I average 250-300 games a season. Last season I did 330 games, and I finished game 166 of this season today. I call from February through November---a benefit of living in Texas. Calling lots of games exposes me to many varying situations, and many different yet similar situations. What is a rare occasion for some might occur to me several times a year just because of the number of games I call. Calling too few of games can let you get rusty where the first inning or two are used to tune-up. Somewhere is that happy medium, and it may vary among different individuals depending on other circumstances in their personal schedules.

There are varying factors that come into play.
As an assignor, I try to weigh those factors against the talent of the individual and the games I assign him to in order to hopefully challenge him and improve him while providing the league a qualified official on the field meeting the talent level that the game dictates.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

HAHAHA!

Man, even I know NOT to start tryin to call people out! The Umps here, mainly the ones who post alot, know thier "****." So I wouldn't question it. Secondly, 2300 LL games is just as good sometimes. Think about it...In Major League Baseball, yeah, (random guess...) 50% of the rules will be applied....but yeah...the freakish things about baseball, (batter out of box, runner hit by batted ball, unrulely (sp?) fans..., ball hits pitchers mound, kid gets hit by ball)

Yeah, that ALL occurs in Youth Baseball. So IMO, even though I haven't Umped at the higher levels these guys have been at....baseball is baseball.

Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Noone by chance knows Milton Simmons? Charlie Reed? or Jim Beck?

They are some of the bigwigs down here in Richmond.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

HOW MANY GAMES?

After the Virginia High School Baseball/Softball ended last season I worked between 110 and 120 games per month with various associations. Mon - Thurs I would do four 55 min ASA co-ed or mens slowpitch games, on Friday's I'd either do two fastpitch softball games or two baseball 7 inning games. On Saturday's and Sunday's I'd do up to four fastpitch softball games or two baseball games.

This year I've cut back to about 20 games a week and haven't umpired any Adult slowpitch games.

Michael
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Tee-ball,

You have an entry for every game? May I say...life? I have done about 1/8th of those many games and already know the "knotty problems" and what I did wrong.

As for entries about my partner...isn't that illegal?

When I get to Florida, I would like for you to help me out.

Just don't be putting down any entries about my masculinity!!! (always joking T)
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf986
Noone by chance knows Milton Simmons? Charlie Reed? or Jim Beck?

They are some of the bigwigs down here in Richmond.
I know Milt Simmons. He only thinks he's a big dog umpire. The true big dogs will have nothing to do with him.

I also know Jim Beck but not as an umpire. He is a senior administrator of several men's leagues. He is one of the league administrators, coaches, and players that I really like. He blends all three with a good knowledge of the game. He also owns a sporting goods store here in Northern Va.

Finally, are you related to the RUT of McGriff's fame. You sound just like him.

Peter
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Nah, no relation. Haha, funny you should say that about Milton. He's my boss, so he's the big salsa in our nachos. But Jim Beck is a great Umpire, and I love when I get to work with him. His work ethic, and humor get games going alot faster. Though I hope we are talking about the Same Jim Beck. He's supposedly a relation to the Becks that own 84 Lumber, people call him "Bodie."