Thread: can't get games
View Single Post
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The obvious answer is to find another assignor. I realize that may not be possible in your area, however.
There's a monopoly in my area. I would have to road-trip it out of town to do games. It would then become a feasibility issue.

Quote:
If insurance is your major concern, you do have some options. Purchase the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) coverage. It is very reasonably priced and covers you for any sport you officiate, regardless of the sanctioning body.
I'm aware of various companies that can cover me...for another outlay of money of course. The concern here is not getting games and what is going overboard on something they should be up on....with them being glib about it and refusing to assign me games, and passing it all off as poor customer service on my part.

Quote:
You also mentioned NFHS..If you are a registered NFHS official in your state, the insurance coverage extends to you officiating any sport at any level that is also a sanctioned HS sport in your state.
That's true for secondary health insurance but not liability coverage if you get sued. I know that for a fact because I contacted the very claims people about that.

Quote:
I would also recommend that you do the research for yourself on these options to make sure they will work for you. Then, you can accept games without having to worry about being covered by a specific association.
I've done my research. My experience in doing USSF soccer is what make the red light go off in my head about liability coverage in the first place. We were warned in USSF soccer not to ref games on your own between teams not registered with USSF because the liability insurance isn't covered.

Monopoly in my town. One guy does all of the assigning and I come to find out he has no tentative plans to give me any games....hence the desire to possibly sue him.

I think you're missing the point. I should not have to go to these extremes nor should I have to get beat up for refusing games for an issue that would have been detrimental to my personal possessions if I get sued. No apology on their part whatsoever and no desire on their part to repair the working relationship. They hold all of the cards ...so far.

Last edited by BornToReferee; Wed May 29, 2013 at 11:52am.